The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:04 PM

means is on a distinguished road
Default 2 weight rod?

I have convinced myself that I need a 2 weight for the small creeks around here.

Can anyone recommend a modestly priced rod? I would prefer a med to med fast action if that is even possible.

Also why are all the 2 weights 6 feet instead of 7 like the 3 weights are?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weight rod?

I recently purchased the Orvis Superfine Touch in 2 wt. It retails for $495, which puts it in the mid-range category. It comes in either 6' or 8' lengths. I got mine for the same reason you stated in your post. It has a soft feel and is rated as a full flex rod. However, I can still get plenty of distance when needed, but it makes for some nice presentations.

It's a very nice little rod. I opted for the 8' version so I can fight the wind that inevitably comes up whenever I fish.

Full Flex Fly Rods | Superfine Touch Fly Rods | Fly Fishing -- Orvis

By the way, welcome to the forum!

-VB
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I'm really really happy with my 7'6" 2/3 weight St Croix Imperial and a 3 weight line. Mines old. Not positive what the current imperials are like. If you are looking for a balance between super soft presentation and the abilty to throw weight #12 mirco streamers easily, you should at least cast on.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I've use both of these and for the price they are great rods. I think you can get both of them in a 2wt

Elkhorn Traveler 1wt, very easy to cast for such a light line
St Croix Avid 3wt, nice all around dry fly rod

I think the Elkhorn warranty will turn around damaged rods faster than St Croix if that is part of your decision making process.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

7'3" Echo Carbon. Try to find one negative review about it. We love ours!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I've got three '2 wt' rods:

St. Croix Imperial - 6'0"
St. Croix Legend Ultra - 7'6"
Sage ZXL - 8'0"

The one I use the most often, by far, is the 6-ft. Imperial. Here's part of the reason:

When I measured the ERNs of these rods, I found the Imperial is really a 1 wt. The Ultra is a 2 wt, and the ZXL measures as a 3 wt.

Also, the Imperial weighs only 1.8 Oz. (Ultra 2.8; ZXL 2.6) Combine it with a light reel and you have a small, light package.

I've caught 1 1/2 lb. trout with it. It bends a lot, but is otherwise fine. The only negative I can see is hook-setting. It's so light that you have to put a little extra oomph into the hook set.

Plus, it's the least expensive of the bunch ($170). (I should mention it's a two-piece. Broken down, it's still longer than the others.)

Last edited by plecain; 06-30-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I have a 7 foot 3 inch TFO finesse that I use for the smaller creeks in my area.......medium action......and fun all the live long day!!!
rusty 54 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

all good suggestions. of the bunch the legend ultra is my favorite. had one of those that actually got btoken in a car accident. didnt replace it but i should have.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 PM

means is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I looked at the Superfine but don't like that it is a full flex.

Right now I am torn between the Orvis 6 foot Clearwater or the Echo 6 foot.

Both of these ended up being on the bottom end of price but they have the warranty and I like the way they look. The Clearwater reviews said that it had a little stiffer but section so that helped with casting.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i picked up a new colton slipstream 6' 2 last year on the big auction site last year and i gotta say its a beauty, especially what i payed for it.

Click the image to open in full size.

an absolute bluegill killer!!

casey

ARFE