The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   question for the rod tech geeks (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/323874-question-rod-tech-geeks.html)

gutterpunk 07-01-2013 09:49 PM

question for the rod tech geeks

And I say that with love.

In the course of noodling around, I've read that one can't roll cast a Sage Xi. Similar rods, such as a z-axis or TCX (I understand they are actually different in many ways) can be roll cast. So what are the actual technical specs of an Xi that makes it, at least, very difficult. I assume it's as simple as the rod not being able to load and get spring without a bunch of line in the air behind it, but I thought there might be more to it than that since on a roll cast with any rod it still has to flex to pull the line off the water and use that stored energy to propel the line forward.

I expect to read a lot about polymers and such.

fyshstykr 07-01-2013 10:51 PM

Re: question for the rod tech geeks

Hmmmph! That's a new one to me. I have never cast a rod that was incapable of roll cast, maybe some that weren't quite as good as others, but never one that was incapable. I think any rod will roll cast with the right line and head configuration.

I could be wrong......it's happened before.;)

MoscaPescador 07-01-2013 11:08 PM

The reality is that some rods roll cast better than the others. Sage Xi and other saltwater designed rods are usually stiff in the butt section. Rods that can load further down the blank will roll cast better.

petee 07-02-2013 07:53 AM

Ditto what MP posted. I know with Bamboo tapers, hinges are actually designed into the blank taper to get it to roll cast even better. Ref. many Wayne Cattanach tapers. The hinges are usually designed into the mid to lower portion of the blank. Rods, such as the Xi, with very stiff butt section won't roll cast as well as a rod with a softer mid or butt section.

Not a materials engineer, but that is how I see it based on my Bamboo rod building experience rolled over for a comparision to plastic rod actions.

Pete

glacierjohn 07-02-2013 09:18 AM

My medium action 9'-4wt Scott G series roll cast like a dream, my 9'-5wt Z-Axis roll cast fine, but not as well as the Scott.

Jackster 07-03-2013 10:10 AM

I'm not sure it's possible for a major rod company to make a rod that won't roll cast and yet expect to sell them. I can envision a rod such as this in the way heavy class like 14 weight and above. This seems to be the type of rod you use to just toss/flip the fly at a teased sailfish.
How could you get a sinking line to the surface in prep for the next cast if you couldn't roll cast it?

rmorrison 07-04-2013 09:57 PM

I'm sure one can roll cast a Sage Xi. In the hands of a skilled fly fisher I'm sure it's quite possible. However, I doubt it roll casts well. It's probably a damn broom stick. When hearing laments about these fast souless rods I'm always put in mind of the joke about the golf playing gorilla's short game with the punch line..."How does he putt?" "Same as he drives...400 yds." Sounds about right.

trout champ 07-06-2013 12:13 AM

My streamer rod for a little while was Sage's Xi2 in 690-4. I was able to roll cast it fairly well. I'm sure if it was a higher weight, with a thicker/stronger butt, it would perform horribly. I know of one guy on the Taylor River in CO. that uses a 7wt and has a damn near perfect roll cast. It can be done with lower weights, but very doubtful with higher weights.

Randy