The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By glacierjohn
  • 1 Post By glcaddis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Remember when a Scott was a Scott and a Sage was a Sage?

After 25 years of fishing with fiberglass I bought my first graphite rod in 1991, things were much simpler then. My new wife, bless her soul, gave me a gift certificate to a local high end fly shop for my birthday, so I excitedly went in to test cast some rods and get advise from the salesman. This particular San Francisco shop sold Sage, Scott and Winston. Back then there was only one Scott rod, one Winston and two Sage ( the LL and RPL). For me it like Goldilocks, the Sage RPL was too fast, the Winston too slow and the Scott just right. I think that generalization carries over to this day, when you think Sage you think fast "western power fishing", when you think Winston, you think delicate stream rods with Scott being a bit of a cult.

I still have a very cool 1992 Scott black and white catalog, every rod in the catalog is just referred to as a Scott, the only mention of Powr-Ply is a note at the end where it says it's a registered trademark. The only mention of G is each model number has a G in front of it. My rod was one of last of the San Francisco rods, they moved to Berkeley later that year. In the catalog Scott calls it action medium-fast, I guess it's all relative.

It was only a few years after that that all companies decided to widen their appeal and try to compete in other areas, sage did already have the wonderful LL series which definitely bucked the fast action RPL mode, and around 1996 I bought a very nice medium action Sage SP, in the mean time Scott came out with too many rods lines for me to keep track of, same with Winston and most other fine rod companies. I kind of miss the day when you could look over at a guy, see that highly polished, rich green Winston blank and know exactly what it was.

John
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Remember when a Scott was a Scott and a Sage was a Sage?

I guess in my old age, I'm trying to undo the mistakes of the past. Just this morning, I spent a very nice time in my front yard casting a rod that came last night via UPS. It was a Scott G885/3. What a wonderful crisp rod. I loved it 20+ years ago, foolishly sold it to buy "...green", and now have another. I'm slowly returning to the original G series as I have opportunities. Currently, I'm looking for a G883/3. All my spey rods are now Scott LS2's, ARCs or T2H. I still have a couple of G2s, but hopefully they will be phased out in the near future.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that if the guys that run these companies were not business and marketing savvy, they might not be in business any more. Look at what happened to the Powell family. They were taken advantage of, but they were not capturing the market share of the companies you mention because they approached the business in much the manner you describe. They looked for outside help and lost the company. I'm not saying I agree with it...heck I still can't spend too much time thinking about what happened to the Powells without getting really upset. I loved their approach to the business and their rods. But in the end it was not viable. Thankfully there are a lot of really great rods available on the secondary market (just as mr caddis has mentioned) from the late 80s and early 90s - a period I agree produced some of the best casting graphite rods ever.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I agree completely any company needs to keep up with the times. I worked for one that needed to update its business model and put it off so long that it was much more expensive to do it under duress than let it happen naturally. Fortunately they were able to do it. Small rod makers don't have the luxury.

My only regret is that we can't order what we want, even if it isn't cataloged any longer. And, that we can't get blanks to build what we'd like to have.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

gl if you decide to move some of those g2s post them here i may be able to help you out!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

All my rods are from "yesteryear".

I obtained an original Scott G recently, called the company and found it was made right at the change over from San Fran to Berkeley. 8' 4wt 2-piece, can't find any other that casts like it.

Also have some older Sage's..RPL, SPL, and LL.

Just can't find anything now days that casts like them.