The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM

tca1954 is on a distinguished road
Default please help with 4 wt. rod selection

Hi everyone,

I am looking to replace my redington rs2 9' 4 wt. rod and need some advice. Currently, I own several rods of various wts. and actions, an Orvis Silver Label 8' 1 wt., TFO Pro Series 8'6" 3 wt. Orvis Power Matrix 9' 6wt and of course the redington mentioned. I enjoy all these rods and fish mainly for panfish, bass and carp.

I would like to upgrade my 4 wt. because this is the rod and weight I like to fish the most. The bass in my area (Chicago) average around 1-1.5 lbs. with lots of 2-3 pounders in between. Also the carp I catch average around 5-7 lbs. with the occassional 10-12 pounder. As a matter of fact I caught a 12 lb. carp last summer on my 1 wt. and had quite a handful, but landed him in about 5-7 min.

I do fish for bass and carp regularly with my 4 wt. and have had very good success with this rod. I like the 6 wt. Orvis but I am the most accurate with the 4wt. The 1 and 3 wt. are fun for bluegills and I will always use these rods for this type of fishing, but the 4 wt. is a sweet stick and I would really like to get a good one.

My budget is not limited, thank you Lord and my wife, and I would like to have some input on, of course, the best 4 wt. any of you guys have had experience with.

I like moderate to fast action rods and my current redington I believe falls into that class. What I would like to know is, would an 8'6" 4 wt. be a good choice or should I stay with a 9'. Actions, fast, moderate, something else? Good line and reel choices?

I will be fishing for all the species mentioned above with the 4 wt. and would like to know what fly sizes the 4 wt. can handle adequately, bass bugs, streamers, dries, nymphs, etc.

And one more thing, I prefer 2 piece rods.

I realize that the best advise is to test cast as many rods as possible, but in the area where I live there aren't really any fly shops where I can do that. I have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, but their selection is limited. One fly shop in my area does handle Sage and TFO rods, but that is about it. So I will have to chance an internet purchase. And this is why I have all these questions for you guys.

So this is my dilemma and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: please help with 4 wt. rod selection

Hello,
Am a 4wt enthusiast too & prefer an 8 1/2 ft rod to a 9. I find them easier to control & cast. That applies to me , recommend you try both before buying to see which you prefer.
There are a lot of good rods out there, the best for you is whichever you prefer & will enjoy fishing. Since you are not limited financially, suggest you include the Loomis GLX in you trials.
Best of luck with your selection & the fishing that will follow.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: please help with 4 wt. rod selection

Hi tca1954,

"One fly shop in my area does handle Sage and TFO rods, but that is about it."

Since your fly shop carries Sage you should look at the Z-Axis rods. They are fast action and come in 2 piece. I prefer a 9' rod but you may like the lighter in hand feel of a shorter rod. Sage is one of our premiere rod makers.

Frank

Sage Z-Axis
Click the image to open in full size.

There is also the Sage ZXL. It is not available in a 2 piece and is slower in action.

Sage ZXL
Click the image to open in full size.