The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:05 AM

ruttness will become famous soon enoughruttness will become famous soon enough
Default wild waters fly fishing

hey guys new to the forum joined last month after a bit of lurking. anyway ive been an avid fly fisher since about 7 years old i grew up in southeast Pennsylvania spoiled on spring fed limestone streams. so about 4 years ago my wife and i got pregnant with our daughter and it began what i would call a hiatus only being on the water a handful of times in that period. so recently i picked the gear back up in a serious mater to explore the mountain streams and rivers of our new state, north Carolina.

but this time my wife decided it was something she would like to get into, so i mated up my orvis and able 5wt and took her lawn casting, she fell in love

so as today is her birthday i got her a beginner fly rod combo, i was quite skeptical as i am a bit of a higher end gear guy. i was flipping the pages of the newest flyfisherman and came across a company called wild waters fly fishing.

i did some research on them and found out its owned by a guy and he deals with everything himself, your order is shipped from his front to yours. at 115$ for the deluxe combo i said why not, and am quite pleased i did

comes in a nice rod and reel tube
Click the image to open in full size.

out of the tube my first thoughts were it was a simple yet sleek finish

the deluxe combo comes with a fly box and a dozen and a half hand tied
flies( top 3 rows)

the reel is not the nicest but the drag is smooth and the finish is decent, and the only part im not fond of is the silver reel seat

the copper color lettering really pops on the black rod blank

it casts very well, has a bit of a slower action but has a good backbone and throws tight loops with little effort and it is damn accurate

overall i am happy with this setup expecting to buy it to teach her the basics and upgrade in a few months i feel this very budget minded rod will be fished for years to come

i would recommend this combo to any beginner or someone looking for a backup
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: wild waters fly fishing

Good looking outfit for sure. Nice to know about them. Best of luck to your wife and her fishin' adventures !

Mike
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, that looks like a nice setup for the wife, a slower action would probably be best for a beginner anyway. It is always great to see a wife get into fly fishing as it makes for a better relationship in the long run if you do things together. My wife never really liked fly fishing, but she would tag along with a lawn chair, glass of wine and a nice book and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
yonder likes this.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found a good set-up for your wife. Got my wife an 8'6" 4/5wt for her birthday last year. I doubt she'll be as into it as I am but it is nice to introduce her to something I enjoy so much. Might help her understand how easy it is to lose track of time

You write well and Wild Waters should get you on the pay-roll to advertise for them. Again, welcome, and look forward to some fish pictures!

Last edited by williamhj; 07-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I ran into Wild Waters a couple of years ago at a fishing show and was very impressed. Good quality for short money.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

That looks like a good quality combo for that price. My wife has been expressing interest in learning to fly fish. That looks like the perfect set up to get her started. Does the combo come with a line or is it just the rod and reel?

If not, which line did you choose for it?

-VB
Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 PM

thanks guys looks like our first outing will be next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
That looks like a good quality combo for that price. My wife has been expressing interest in learning to fly fish. That looks like the perfect set up to get her started. Does the combo come with a line or is it just the rod and reel?

If not, which line did you choose for it?

-VB
it came preloaded with wff 4#
Old 07-06-2013, 01:13 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Ruttness,

Thanks for posting, and for the great information. That is an amazing deal to include the rod, reel, and line! Just from the pictures, it appears the workmanship on that rod is excellent.

Please let us know how it fishes.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Ruttness,

Thanks for posting, and for the great information. That is an amazing deal to include the rod, reel, and line! Just from the pictures, it appears the workmanship on that rod is excellent.

Please let us know how it fishes.

Cheers,

-VB
it also came with 3 tappered leaders, a 30m roll of 5x tippet, a fly box and 16 flies.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Sounds like they include everything except a fish on the end of the line ! Do you know where their stuff is made ?
Awesome price for all that you get. Don't forget to put up pictures of the new fisherperson with her first catch.