The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Winston has ruined me!!

Last winter I built my first rod. It was a little 3wt Winston GVX. Yesterday me and my cousin went fishing and I was having a blast with the rod landing the trout. (Also first trout I have taken on the rod.) I just love how nicely it casts it casts so nicely I just cant even describe it.

Went out this morning to do a little bass fishing with my 5wt St Croix Triumph. Boy oh boy do I not like that rod anymore. I put it away and pulled out the Winston and went after the blue gills.

I cant afford to buy another winston and I dont have the tools or time left this summer to build one. Looks like their price has gone up about $70.

Anyone reccomend a 9' 5wt fly rod in the sub $300 range that might cast and feel remotely close to the Winston?
Not sure what I want to do yet. I either want to replace my 5wt or look into getting set up for steel head because its a 2 hour drive from where Im going to school to prime steelhead country.
Could $300 get me a rod/reel that will hold up to steelheading?

Thanks all!
Hardyreels and rangerrich99 like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Winston has ruined me!!

There is no substitute. Hold out for what you really want. Rent or borrow if you need something right away.
jaybo41 and petee like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you already have a 5wt, why not get yourself a rod for Steelhead so that you can fish for something different. After having fished the Winston, I'd bet if you spent a little more time with the St. Croix, two things would happen. You'd get used to it again and figure out how to make it work and you'd appreciate what you like in a fly rod that much more. I'm with mbchilton, hold out for what you want or you'll be disappointed in the long run.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dang, now you have gone and done it, you have me thinking about getting a Winston rod. I have never cast one, but maybe it is time to try one out.
rockriver and krikau27 like this.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Yep......now he's got me all stirred up too!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Look for a 2pc G series Scott on the 'bay. There's a 6wt on there right now.
fysh likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Larry and Yonder, don't to it! This thread is a good argument against trying one
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I got to cast a Winston 5 wt at the FF school I took back in April, and it felt very good/nice/easy to cast from the get go. I've been wanting one as well but will have to wait till I get a bit better before I get one. Need to go by the shop and drool some on it, maybe they would give me a discount. .
GL in your acquisition.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Haha I wasnt to sure about the 3wt when I first bought it. Now that I have spent some time behind it I love it! Maybe its because its a 3 wt and maybe its because its only only 7'6" but too me and my casting style it just feels so much smoother and it is so easy for me to get my line out and right on target. When the rod loads and unloads its smooth and gentle. My 5 wt now feels like a wet noodle. The loading and unloading is noodley and wiggley and I feel like I have to work so hard to get my line out where the 3wt is effortless. I want to cast a 5wt GVX but not untill I can seriously afford one.

Maybe Ill just get one of them sexy Brodin Ghost Nets and keep fishing the 3wt, even in medium waters I fish. Im just worried about fishing it in bigger waters for fear of getting bigger fish. Ive been putting off getting a landing net but maybe its time.

Only thing that worries me about steel head on the fly is if I will be able to effectively cast. Not sure how much wading I can safely do so maybe it would be better if I just stuck to spinning reel and shore fishing.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
Haha I wasnt to sure about the 3wt when I first bought it. Now that I have spent some time behind it I love it! Maybe its because its a 3 wt and maybe its because its only only 7'6" but too me and my casting style it just feels so much smoother and it is so easy for me to get my line out and right on target. When the rod loads and unloads its smooth and gentle. My 5 wt now feels like a wet noodle. The loading and unloading is noodley and wiggley and I feel like I have to work so hard to get my line out where the 3wt is effortless. I want to cast a 5wt GVX but not untill I can seriously afford one.

Maybe Ill just get one of them sexy Brodin Ghost Nets and keep fishing the 3wt, even in medium waters I fish. Im just worried about fishing it in bigger waters for fear of getting bigger fish. Ive been putting off getting a landing net but maybe its time.

Only thing that worries me about steel head on the fly is if I will be able to effectively cast. Not sure how much wading I can safely do so maybe it would be better if I just stuck to spinning reel and shore fishing.
LOL! The addiction continues, there is no known cure, it will only get worse!
flyfisher117 and yonder like this.