The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

eurovw89 will become famous soon enough
Default St Croix Pro Graphite upgrade

I was wondering what everyone thought about....I already have a St. Croix Pro Grpahite 5wt and was thinking of upgrading to TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Special 5wt which I can get for $104.

I have had this rod for about 10yrs and have heard soooo many good things about TFO.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: St Croix Pro Graphite upgrade

not sure that's an upgrade...those pro graphite rods were affordable, but I gave my 5 to a good friend who still fishes it and I have an 8 that I'll always fish. Never had a bad experience with a tfo rod either, but you should cast that rod 1st and be sure you're really making a good decision...-Mike
Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks Mike. Just dont know of any dealers around me in Maryland (Harford Co).

That is the same thing I wan to do, basically pass it on to a friend who is starting out fly fishing and buy myself a new rod.

Any other suggestions? I fish mostly small streams in the area or trout and thats it....I dont wanta sepnd a ton of money on a rod, just a nice lil upgrade from my existing.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Jeff, well, that's what I did exactly, but I upgraded to a used Sage that I had already cast...so I got a good price for a rod I knew. There are a ton of rods around $100 like the tfo's Echos and the closeout Redington CT's.

You say you fish the small streams for trout, so you open up all the questions about length and wt of the rod in addition to the maker and model, it seems...do you want a 9' 5wt or do you have a shorter rod in mind?

The reason I ask is many members here would have specific recommendations if you were to say "who knows a good 7'6" 3wt for throwing mostly dry flies on small creeks? I'm trying to stay close to $100 for the rod." or something like that...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Jeff, well, that's what I did exactly, but I upgraded to a used Sage that I had already cast...so I got a good price for a rod I knew. There are a ton of rods around $100 like the tfo's Echos and the closeout Redington CT's.

You say you fish the small streams for trout, so you open up all the questions about length and wt of the rod in addition to the maker and model, it seems...do you want a 9' 5wt or do you have a shorter rod in mind?

The reason I ask is many members here would have specific recommendations if you were to say "who knows a good 7'6" 3wt for throwing mostly dry flies on small creeks? I'm trying to stay close to $100 for the rod." or something like that...
My current rod is 8'6" and would like to stay in the length in a 5wt. I mostly throw dry flies, but trying to get into wets and streamers......basically all around rod that is good for all flies.

I do have a question.....is there a trick on throwing weighted (ie beadheaded wooly buggers) on a 5wt.....seems like I really have to get into it good just to get a little distance.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

If I was to get any TFO single hander it would have to be the TFO finesse, thats a nice lil rod at $189 in the 8'9" 4 or 5 wt. Two other rods to consider which I believe are leagues beyond the TFO's are the Orvis clearwater 9' 5wt. and Winston Passport 9' 5wt. Both rods are priced @ $200 range, I'd take a long hard look at these two rods if I was you. Also, getting them in your hand before buying is very important. Good Luck
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Have you considered the ECHO Carbon or other models of their rods? Some good buys in the auction. Good hunting.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Have you considered the ECHO Carbon or other models of their rods? Some good buys in the auction. Good hunting.
Thanks for all your input. I just bought the Allen Kraken and TFO BVK both in 8wt......havent been out to fish em cuz all all the rain. I dont have the money to spend on a $300+ rod, but just want something that is an all around rod. I dont know how my current rod stacks up to others out there in the price range a little above. Funny, but if I roll my rod 45 degrees ("cast it on its side") it seems like I get a better/smoother cast.
Dont know if it worth to step up to a different rod or stick with what I have.

Auction?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I bought a TFO BVK 8'3wt. Dad bought a TFO pro 9'5wt. I'm OK with the BVK, I was under no illusions when I bought it. I HATE the way Dad's rod plays the fish. The tip is too dang stiff! TFO's are OK for the money, but steer clear of a cheap, fast rod.

CAB