The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM

pleasantvalley is on a distinguished road
Default Rod to reel fit question

So my sister just gave me her never used fly rod. She bought it a few years ago, but decided to stay with her tenkara style bamboo stick and string. The rod she gave me is a crystal river finalist combo rod and reel. I know it's not high quality, per say, but hey it's a good deal.

Anyway, I took this rod home and fit the reel to the rod, and there is a noticeable looseness between the two. The reel fits snugly up and down, but wiggles side to side, like the wings on the reel that fit in the seat are flatter than the space in the seat. Is there a cheap way to fix this? I'd like to try this rod out. Thanks guys!

Last edited by pleasantvalley; 07-10-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: That dang auto spell correct got me.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rod to reel fit question

I'm also known to fish some in-expensive rods, Rod to reel seat fitting is a problem that affect many rods.

I've purchased cork cabinet laminate from the hardware store, and lined the bottom foot of the intended reel, and sometimes line the outer edge of the foot with thin strips of cardboard to center the reel in a position I like.

By the way...... I've also fished the crystal river rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

I liked it enough that I upgraded the reel seat.

I think you have a nice startup rod that should suit you well. That red stripe on the cork handle is just something my brother and I used to do to keep our rods apart on fishing trips. Its funny how we used to always end up purchasing the same equipment, despite living separate.

I purchased this rod many years ago, but never really fished it until I got myself established in the hobby. I then went back to it to try it out. I still have a soft spot for this rod, as it was the first fly rod I purchased, although it was not the first purchase I actually fished. Several years back, I saw it on sale, purchased it, and never gave it a shot until I got hooked into the hobby with another rod.

My advice is definitely fish it (get yourself hooked in the hobby), and find yourself a bit of fun.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Try putting some electrical tape on the underside of the reel foot. That is, the part that touches the reel seat. Keep adding layers until you get a snug fit.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Hobby / Craft stores sell 8x10" sheets of smooth foam. You can build up layers under the reel seat as needed.

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE !

Buy a few extra sheets, it's the same foam thats used in a lot of fly boxes. Use it to replace ratty,rusty,ripped foam in your fly boxes. Glue it down with rubber cement, or for permanent placement use contact cement.
As a side benefit, I like to give my sons and fishing buddies my home tied flies. Use pieces of foam to turn pocket sized mint tins ( like Altoids) into fly boxes to hand out the flies in. It's fun to see someone pull one of those boxes out of a vest.

Last edited by siege; 07-12-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

I was gonna say that you could probably just wrap the reel feet in some electrical tape or paper towel to make it more snug. If you aren't worried about looks it might be a quick fix.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Well I shimmed it with some thin but firm plastic. The reel itself is just a bit more flimsy than I'd care for. Since the rod was free I may invest a small amount of coin in a reel. Thanks for the suggestions, in the mean time I may try using my other reel, even though the line weight is different (rod is 6/7 and line on my other reel is wf5.)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have found that usually if you wiggle the reel side to side a bit and then crank the locking ring down a bit more they tighten up. Sometimes it takes 2 go rounds of this but it works. I have a Hardy rod that sells for 650.00 and I use a reel that cost me 750.00 on it, I have to do the wiggle & crank to insure a snug seating on this outfit so don't let the cost of the outfit fool you.

Try it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Well after trying every shimming trick suggested and then some, I determined the reel itself was too soft. Managed to find a used Martin reel and it fits very snug. Now to try this rod out, thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to hear that you solved the issue, a loose reel is not cool.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;