The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SkipS
  • 1 Post By bmbailes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Redington advice....

so i hav a new 6wt.redington predator( short version). after trying several lines and following suggestions i found the perfect line.....sage bluegill 230gr. it makes this rod a cannon! i have had great luck with it on lakes and ponds but when taking it wading i'm having trouble adjusting to the shorter length (water slapping behind me). what can i change to help this? secondly, i own a 9' 6wt. that casts streamers, poppers, indicator rigs well. would it be worth even trying a sink tip on the predator? i'm 99% of the time a warmwater guy....so think clousers and crayfish patterns.

any advice is appreciated
Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redington advice....

I would dedicate your Predator as a floating line rod. These short rods were designed for quick load to throw large top water flies.

Use your long rod as your multipurpose rod.

Dennis

Edit: Just clarifying something. You can use whatever fly that you want to use with your short rod. Just stick with the floating line. Use a full sink or a sink tip line on your long rod to offer another presentation.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-13-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Sounds like a plan!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't have any trouble with a sink tip on that rod.I use an intermediate line on mine when wading the saltwater flats here and it works fine.Most of the time its a floater but you can use other lines as well.When wading,keep your backcast high and you wont slap the water.
bmbailes likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM

changed up my casting today!! worked great! i was using poppers until the sun got up and then went to town throwing clousers and catching lots of nice bass. love this rod!
waterfordcreek likes this.