The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I have a Superfine Touch 2wt. Very slow and VERY fun. It says its for short casts, but don't be disappointed, I can bomb line out with flies most people tell me I can't cast with a 2wt.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

By far the slowest action graphite I've ever cast are Walton Powell's original standard graphite fly rods. He and his son used to argue about the fact that Walt's rods were sooooo slow...which was how he liked them. And they are not expensive and pop up on eBay from time to time. They are the dark gray graphite that say The Walton Powell Rod or A Walton Powell Rod on them. Very very slow.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:29 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I can personally attest to the old Scott G-series and the Winston WT-series as slow graphite rods. Well, at least the Scott G905 2-piece and the Winston WT904 3-piece anyway. Both are quality rods.

I also understand that the Orvis Superfine series and Sage LL series are nice rods with a slower action. I don't have any experience with them though.

I also built a 0/1WT rod on a Dan Craft Signature IV blank that is pretty darn slow. I like it a lot:

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Redington Classic Trout, or the new version, the Tempt, are some of the slowest graphite rods out there. I heard the newer Orvis Superfines are a bit faster than the old ones.

Randy
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
The new "king" of slow graphite would have to be the Sage Circa. Outside the Circa most companies' slowest graphite would be considered "medium" action. In addition to the rods already mentioned I would add the St Croix Avid, Scott G2 and the old Sage SPL.
I had the predecessor to the Sage SPL, an 8'-6" five weight Sage SP. It was a very similar action to the Scott, so much so that when I broke it last summer (I bought it in 97), and sent it back to Sage, they offered me another rod and suggested the ZXL as a similar action, but I opted for the Z-Axis because the SP was too close to my Scott so I rarely used it.

John
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I use an 8' 4weight orvis superfine touch and I'd have to say I think this is the "king" of soft and slow action graphite. I've used the winston bIIT, and WT trout rods along with a 3 weight sage circa. For the soft graphite dry fly application I easily like the touch rod the most and it flexes deeper than the other rods so I would absolutely recommend this rod.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I've ever seen a rod advertised as "slow"; I suppose for marketing purposes it might be considered a negative description?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM

i suck at fishing is on a distinguished road

I mainly use a Orvis Superfine Touch, and while it is slower than my other rods, I would consider it to be more medium action than anything. Based on my limited experience with the circa, the 5 weight felt more bendy than my 4 weight superfine.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 PM

rhr is on a distinguished road

My 1980s vintage SAGE 590 DS has a slow action. The rod bends right into the butt with moderate powered casts. My two early 90s vintage 586 DS2s are medium action.
wannafish likes this.