The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/325105-slooowwww-action-graphite-rod.html)

flymoron 07-14-2013 04:20 PM

SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks

sageandonion 07-14-2013 04:29 PM

Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I've been asking about the Sage Circa, which some have said is like cane. The Winston BIIt is also cane-like according to those who know both. (I'm guessing that glass and cane are similarly slow.) Alternatively, find a medium action rod and over-line it.

glcaddis 07-14-2013 05:10 PM

Some of the older Orvis rods were pretty slow. I think their Superfine series is on the slow side of medium. The Hexagraph rods were very slow. I have an IM6 Winston that is quite slow as well. While some of the newer rods aren't terribly fast, most of them are at least "...crisp.'

Rip Tide 07-14-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flymoron (Post 572536)
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite.

It's a misconception that all fiberglass is SLOOOWWWW.
Graphite on the other hand has been marketed from the get-go to be faster action and with tighter loops.
What makes you think that you're not interested in fiberglass ?

imxer 07-14-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flymoron (Post 572536)
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks

----------------------
FM

Mark Steffen built some slow action graphite blanks during the early years of his rod building company.
You could contact him to ask if he has any of those blanks still around. Now refers to his graphite rods as medium action but compared to most modern rod companies, no doubt many fisherman would call them slow.
Google: Steffen Brothers Rod Company. Very nice man.
Best of Luck

Paul

nickj 07-14-2013 06:44 PM

Slooowww is obviously a subjective thing.. As has been mentioned, I'd try the Orvis Superfines.

wannafish 07-14-2013 06:55 PM

I had a Redington Classic Trout and loved it but couldn't get used to the slowness of it; you might like it, and they were inexpensive!

jaybo41 07-14-2013 07:03 PM

Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.

ghocevar 07-14-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 572569)
Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.

Ditto...The Orvis Far & Fine, as well as the Winston IM6, are both slow action. I believe the WT may have replaced the IM6 in the winston product line but I could be wrong. All three are very similar in swing weight and action.

The new Superfines, along with the troutbums, are a little bit crisper than the ones previously discussed but are a still slow action rod.

russellb 07-14-2013 09:09 PM

I'm not sure the weight you are looking for but my Winston GVX 7'6 3wt is very soft, very slow action. Additionally, I personally think the Scott G series can be placed in the slow column as well.