The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I've been asking about the Sage Circa, which some have said is like cane. The Winston BIIt is also cane-like according to those who know both. (I'm guessing that glass and cane are similarly slow.) Alternatively, find a medium action rod and over-line it.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Some of the older Orvis rods were pretty slow. I think their Superfine series is on the slow side of medium. The Hexagraph rods were very slow. I have an IM6 Winston that is quite slow as well. While some of the newer rods aren't terribly fast, most of them are at least "...crisp.'
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite.
It's a misconception that all fiberglass is SLOOOWWWW.
Graphite on the other hand has been marketed from the get-go to be faster action and with tighter loops.
What makes you think that you're not interested in fiberglass ?
imxer likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
I know fiberglass is slow action, but I was looking for graphite

thanks
----------------------
FM

Mark Steffen built some slow action graphite blanks during the early years of his rod building company.
You could contact him to ask if he has any of those blanks still around. Now refers to his graphite rods as medium action but compared to most modern rod companies, no doubt many fisherman would call them slow.
Google: Steffen Brothers Rod Company. Very nice man.
Best of Luck

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Slooowww is obviously a subjective thing.. As has been mentioned, I'd try the Orvis Superfines.
runningfish likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I had a Redington Classic Trout and loved it but couldn't get used to the slowness of it; you might like it, and they were inexpensive!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Winston WT and Sage Circa would be the two that come to mind in current production. There are plenty of other discontinued options from both that may also fit the bill.

Not sure about the new Orvis Superfines, but the discontinued Superfine Troutbums in full flex were pretty darn sweet if you like a slower stroke. There are a few of Orvis Far & Fine aficionados on the forum, they're discontinued but do appear every so often.
Ditto...The Orvis Far & Fine, as well as the Winston IM6, are both slow action. I believe the WT may have replaced the IM6 in the winston product line but I could be wrong. All three are very similar in swing weight and action.

The new Superfines, along with the troutbums, are a little bit crisper than the ones previously discussed but are a still slow action rod.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I'm not sure the weight you are looking for but my Winston GVX 7'6 3wt is very soft, very slow action. Additionally, I personally think the Scott G series can be placed in the slow column as well.