The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinking about adding a rod to my trout fishing quiver.

If I were looking to add a rod, I'd wait till I could cast the Scott Radian for myself. I've heard all the hype about a lot of rods, some I liked, most I wish I hadn't spent my money on them. But, Scott has consistently delivered the rod I liked.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
If I were looking to add a rod, I'd wait till I could cast the Scott Radian for myself. I've heard all the hype about a lot of rods, some I liked, most I wish I hadn't spent my money on them. But, Scott has consistently delivered the rod I liked.
I will definitely try this rod and a couple others to compare before I buy anything.

John
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Nice quiver. You just need a streamer rod for the heavier payloads (think line, leader, and fly combination) that your Z can't cover.
I agree with this assessment. And so it leads me to think that you want a faster rod,not a gentler one.

But that doesn't mean it needs to be even more burly than your Z-Axis. I'm not a big fan of the Z-Axis myself.

I was looking to fill exactly the same gap in my arsenal a few years ago and settled on the Orvis Hydros Tip Flex after casting a lot of other rods. (Orvis also made a Mid Flex model that I found too mushy for the need I was trying to fill.) It has the spine to lob a heavy fly a long distance in the wind. I can probably cast 15-20' farther than with some of the "softer" 6 weights I tried. Yet it still has great feel and sensitivity, which surprised me. It's not a war club like a lot of stiff rods.

The Hydros has been discontinued, but it was built on the same blank as the original Helios, and the current Helios 2 Tip Flex (not Mid Flex) is even better. Try that one for sure, and don't let Orvis-bashers talk you out of at least trying it. Then compare it to the Hardy Zenith, the Loomis NRX LP, the Loop Opti Stream, and the St. Croix Legend Elite. (You will then have tried most of the models that performed best at 45 and 75 feet in the new 2103 Yellowstone Angler shootout for 5 weights, by the way.) At least one of them will be able to expand your range beyond what you can do with the 5 wt Z-Axis, and yet feel better in you hand than the Z-Axis too, I'm pretty sure. Yet they can also do nicely when you need to shift gears and fish more delicately closer in. If you're like me it will probably come down to a choice between the Loomis and the Orvis, but feel is subjective and everyone is different.
glacierjohn likes this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 07-16-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I agree with this assessment. And so it leads me to think that you want a faster rod,not a gentler one.

But that doesn't mean it needs to be even more burly than your Z-Axis. I'm not a big fan of the Z-Axis myself.

I was looking to fill exactly the same gap in my arsenal a few years ago and settled on the Orvis Hydros Tip Flex after casting a lot of other rods. (Orvis also made a Mid Flex model that I found too mushy for the need I was trying to fill.) It has the spine to lob a heavy fly a long distance in the wind. I can probably cast 15-20' farther than with some of the "softer" 6 weights I tried. Yet it still has great feel and sensitivity, which surprised me. It's not a war club like a lot of stiff rods.

The Hydros has been discontinued, but it was built on the same blank as the original Helios, and the current Helios 2 Tip Flex (not Mid Flex) is even better. Try that one for sure, and don't let Orvis-bashers talk you out of at least trying it. Then compare it to the Hardy Zenith, the Loomis NRX LP, the Loop Opti Stream, and the St. Croix Legend Elite. (You will then have tried most of the models that performed best at 45 and 75 feet in the new 2103 Yellowstone Angler shootout for 5 weights, by the way.) At least one of them will be able to expand your range beyond what you can do with the 5 wt Z-Axis, and yet feel better in you hand than the Z-Axis too, I'm pretty sure. Yet they can also do nicely when you need to shift gears and fish more delicately closer in. If you're like me it will probably come down to a choice between the Loomis and the Orvis, but feel is subjective and everyone is different.
Another super helpful post, this is actually going to be fun. I can take my time and try out a bunch of rods. Thanks for understanding the point of my question which I was not very articulate in presenting. That being that I want a more powerful rod but hate giving up the "feel" of a medium action rod like the G series or Winston. I can cast the heck out of that Z-Axis and I've caught fish on it, but I find that I use it as a last resort due to wind, not because I really enjoy it.

John
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I'd try the St. Croix Bank Robber, if you can get your hands on one... Been very curious to try one, and I think Kelley Galloup is the man so I'm curious to see his designs in action.

I went for a BVK 7wt. for my huge streamers... Keep it in my car for bass, and it works well on the TX coast as a second rod. It was bought to be versatile like that

I just got back from chucking streamers on the Taylor and the Gunnison, and I have to say that my 5 wt. XP sure performed in a pinch (left my BVK at the house, doh!). I paired it with a sinking 10' head from Rio that I picked up, and I had a grand ole time.

I'd never fished streamers for trout much until last year, and I've gotta say that I'm pretty hooked... One evening n the Taylor the fish were rising and I tried everything that was buzzing (and was guiding a business client from back home and my wife, showing them naturals an the imitations I was throwing on for them... client really liked the entomology lesson and found it fascinating, which was awesome for a bug nerd like me).

Never figured out what they were taking on/near the top, went to the car and got out my streamer rig and started banging out to 70', caught three pig rainbows, all of which were strong fighters and CRUSHED the big articulated streamers I was throwing . It was too much fun
yonder likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
I just spoke with Ian at Scott, he believes the new Scott Radian is designed just for guys like us. The guy at my local shop raved about the demo Radian the Scott Rep brought in a month ago. I'll also have to check out that VXP if I can find one.
This is the first I've heard of the Scott Radian, but it sounds very interesting. Always been a Scott fan, but they have needed a high end rod that fits between the G2 and S4 for quite some time now. Wish there was a Scott dealer still nearby (less then a 6 hr drive). I have spoken with Ian before, he's a pretty sharp guy and know's the rods very well. Sounds like the Radian will only be sold at "preferred" dealers until supply catches up with demand (estimates are 2-3 months).

I would strongly suggest adding the St. Croix Legend Elite to your short list. Great company with great customer service.