The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking about adding a rod to my trout fishing quiver.

I know this is totally personal preference, but it's still fun to discuss. Talking Montana rivers, lakes and streams, right now, not counting a number of old rods I rarely fish anymore, my go-to Rods are a 7.5' 3 wt. Winston WT, a 9' 4 wt. San Francisco Scott G Series and a new 9' 5 wt. Sage Z-Axis.

Growing up fishing fiberglass for almost 30 years before my first graphite rod, I'm a slow-medium action rod guy by nature, but every time I fish with a guide (maybe twice a year), he insist I use his fast action rods. That's why I bought the Z-Axis. I don't really enjoy lobbing weighted nymphs, preferring to use a nymph dropper off a dry fly, but I will do the nymph with sinker thing when I have to. For some reason, maybe because I never really learned the technique, I don't streamer fish much, but I'd like to learn that.

So, realizing that what I have now would work well for 90% of Montana trout situations, I would kind of like to add a graphite six weight to the quiver. I'm thinking it would be a dual purpose rod, big trout windy conditions on the Big Hole River or same thing on Duck Lake up on the Blackfeet Reservation. Also something for streamers. Would a medium action rod like an old Scott G series or new G2 work well or do I need to go fast action? I've been ebaying a couple weeks and got out bid on two old Scott 906 rods, still looking, but am willing to open my mind to other brands, weights or lengths.

Thanks, John
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about adding a rod to my trout fishing quiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
I know this is totally personal preference, but it's still fun to discuss. Talking Montana rivers, lakes and streams, right now, not counting a number of old rods I rarely fish anymore, my go-to Rods are a 7.5' 3 wt. Winston WT, a 9' 4 wt. San Francisco Scott G Series and a new 9' 5 wt. Sage Z-Axis.
Nice quiver. You just need a streamer rod for the heavier payloads (think line, leader, and fly combination) that your Z can't cover.

Quote:
Growing up fishing fiberglass for almost 30 years before my first graphite rod, I'm a slow-medium action rod guy by nature, but every time I fish with a guide (maybe twice a year), he insist I use his fast action rods. That's why I bought the Z-Axis. I don't really enjoy lobbing weighted nymphs, preferring to use a nymph dropper off a dry fly, but I will do the nymph with sinker thing when I have to. For some reason, maybe because I never really learned the technique, I don't streamer fish much, but I'd like to learn that.
As for the casting part of it, a good caster can adjust his or her stroke to match the action of a rod.

As for learning how to streamer fish, it does not hurt to know how. Once you figure it out, it will be a valuable tool in your arsenal.

Quote:
So, realizing that what I have now would work well for 90% of Montana trout situations, I would kind of like to add a graphite six weight to the quiver. I'm thinking it would be a dual purpose rod, big trout windy conditions on the Big Hole River or same thing on Duck Lake up on the Blackfeet Reservation. Also something for streamers. Would a medium action rod like an old Scott G series or new G2 work well or do I need to go fast action? I've been ebaying a couple weeks and got out bid on two old Scott 906 rods, still looking, but am willing to open my mind to other brands, weights or lengths.
This is where the personal preference part comes in. I prefer the faster rod. It has more butt to handle the loads from heavier payloads. It will throw line better in the wind.

If you look around hard enough, you can find Scott S4 rods on clearance. They are being discontinued for a newer model. I am a Sage Z-Axis owner, but I would rather own a Scott S4 if I was going to use it as a streamer rod.

Quote:
Thanks, John
You are welcome.
chi flyfisher and glacierjohn like this.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

John It is hard to follow after the great advice by previous poster. Ok I too am in your shoes except in PA and not Montana . I am currently heavy modern glass and soft graphite . Little knowledge on faster graphite but for my waters and medium streamers/ medium nymph tandem I am having Mike Mcfarland build 8' 3" S glass 5/6 weight. A fav in fiberglass is also Mark Steffen 's version in this same configuration . Well thought by many to be his premier rod. Mike is good friend hence my decision. Again the previous post was so good you may want to ignore my thoughts. But love your rods as well.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Nice quiver. You just need a streamer rod for the heavier payloads (think line, leader, and fly combination) that your Z can't cover.

As for the casting part of it, a good caster can adjust his or her stroke to match the action of a rod.

As for learning how to streamer fish, it does not hurt to know how. Once you figure it out, it will be a valuable tool in your arsenal.

This is where the personal preference part comes in. I prefer the faster rod. It has more butt to handle the loads from heavier payloads. It will throw line better in the wind.

If you look around hard enough, you can find Scott S4 rods on clearance. They are being discontinued for a newer model. I am a Sage Z-Axis owner, but I would rather own a Scott S4 if I was going to use it as a streamer rod.

You are welcome.
This is a most helpful post. I'll look into the S4.

I can cast my Z-Axis fine, and it works much better than the slower Scott 4 wt. in the wind, I just like the feel of the Scott G better, and was wondering if by going up to a six weight, the heavier line would punch wind as well or close to as well as a faster action six?

John
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

As great as the Scott G series is, I doubt that a 6 wt G would offer you much more in terms of handling heavy payloads and cutting through the wind then your 5 wt axis. When you jump up to 6 wt you may find that you prefer a med-fast to fast action rod over a med/mod. While the Scott S4 is a great rod, it may feel to stiff compared to the deeper bending rods you are use to. If you can handle a z-axis but want something slower I would look at a Sage VXP or Response, Scott A4, St Croix Legend Elite, G Loomis GLX Streamdance, or Beulah Platinum.
glacierjohn likes this.

Last edited by fireroad; 07-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

John,

+1 for the Loomis GLX Streamdance. Thought about a 7 Wt?

paul
glacierjohn likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
John,

+1 for the Loomis GLX Streamdance. Thought about a 7 Wt?

paul
I have actually. When I started fishing the 7 Wt was pretty much the standard all around fresh water rod, and a six was considered a light trout rod. I still have my 7'-9" 6 Wt. fiberglass Browning Silaflex, was casting it this morning as a matter of fact. Even though that glass rod throws six weight line out there well, it feels very light with a super whippy tip on a fairly stiff butt. I can't imagine it doing heavy work like what we are talking about. It seems like lighter graphite rods can do heavier work than their fiberglass counterparts, so I thought a seven weight would be overkill, but I'm open to suggestions.

John
Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

You should consider casting the Sage VXP in a 6 weight based on what I've read of your post in this thread. I have fished the 590 and own the 7100. It's not a fast Sage rod and is not, as some has suggested, a reincarnated Sage XP. I fish XP's quite a bit. It may well be a great streamer rod for you, expecially if you like the Z-Axis. Slower, deeper flexing blank; but, it's not too slow to deliver the payloads you want and handle wind.
fireroad and glacierjohn like this.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
You should consider casting the Sage VXP in a 6 weight based on what I've read of your post in this thread. I have fished the 590 and own the 7100. It's not a fast Sage rod and is not, as some has suggested, a reincarnated Sage XP. I fish XP's quite a bit. It may well be a great streamer rod for you, expecially if you like the Z-Axis. Slower, deeper flexing blank; but, it's not too slow to deliver the payloads you want and handle wind.
The VXP seems to be getting rave reviews from guides and fly shop employees. I've been on 2 guided trips in the last 4 months and both guides owned several VXPs. I'm almost in the same boat as you and just waiting for my local shop to get 6 wt VXPs in stock.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
The VXP seems to be getting rave reviews from guides and fly shop employees. I've been on 2 guided trips in the last 4 months and both guides owned several VXPs. I'm almost in the same boat as you and just waiting for my local shop to get 6 wt VXPs in stock.
I just spoke with Ian at Scott, he believes the new Scott Radian is designed just for guys like us. The guy at my local shop raved about the demo Radian the Scott Rep brought in a month ago. I'll also have to check out that VXP if I can find one.