The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM

bootheeltechy is on a distinguished road
Default info on vintage rod

Good grief! tried editing the pictures and wound up deleting my original post. I'm really wanting some info on this rod given to me by my father-in-law. It's two piece fiberglass, 8' long rod with the markings "Coast to Coast" "Total Hardware" with the numbers 640-4131-8' stamped underneath. Any info regarding manufacturer, approximate date of manufacture, or line weight would be great.

Snapbucket Photos by bootheeltechy | Photobucket

Last edited by bootheeltechy; 07-15-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: info on vintage rod

pics aren't working
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootheeltechy View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Eric and I've been lurking around the site as a guest for sometime and finally decided to join a few days ago.
I'm completely new to the fly fishing game and have this site to be a gold mine of information. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with some info on a rod my father-in -law gave me. Its an 8' two piece fiberglass rod, marked "Coast to Coast" Toal Hardware. Underneath that its labeled with the numbers 640-4131-8'.
Pics are below and if anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...15-182436.html
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...83256-hdr.html
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...715-182112.jpg
Sorry, i'm really new at all of this. Not sure what i've done wrong. I can click and see them. How do I post them so that they can be viewed without having to click on the link . They were uploaded out of my user cp and pictures-gallery feature on here.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us here use photobucket or a similar site. Photobucket has a 'direct link' for each picture and you click the picture button in the tool bar above the text box for the thread on the forum and paste the 'direct link' there.

Welcome by the way!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM

Ok, hopefully the photos work now using my photobucket. If not I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if 'Coast to Coast' and 'Total Hardware' are a store that had its own name on a line of fly rods made by a major manufacturer? I googled Coast to Coast Total Hardware History and came up with links to Tru Value Hardware, looks like Coast to Coast is part of the companies history?

Does the text under the numbers say 'Brown Star'?

Hopefully someone with particular knowledge about this rod or line of rods will chime in with more info. Perhaps the numbers will yield info on line weight but I'm not sure how to interpret it. If you have fly reels around (or know someone who does) line it up and see what casts well.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootheeltechy View Post
Good grief! tried editing the pictures and wound up deleting my original post. I'm really wanting some info on this rod given to me by my father-in-law. It's two piece fiberglass, 8' long rod with the markings "Coast to Coast" "Total Hardware" with the numbers 640-4131-8' stamped underneath. Any info regarding manufacturer, approximate date of manufacture, or line weight would be great.
Snapbucket Photos by bootheeltechy | Photobucket
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Imho I'd head over to the fiberglass fly rodders forum... They'll probably know more...

Like william said...it's likely a rod made and labeled for a retail store... This ain't necessarily a bad thing as sometimes these stores had their rods made by some well known rod makers of the time...

Last edited by itchmesir; 07-16-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of Total Hardware but the reel seat and the plastic cap on the grip look much like a Garcia Conolon to me.
Garcia rated their rods by the number of stars too with the brown series being their 4 star (out of 5)
Are the 2 sections the same length, or is the tip longer than the butt ?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

No idea on the rod manufacturer, but Coast to Coast used to be a hardware store chain, like True Value or ACE is now, hence the "Total Hardware" stamped onto the rod. I imagine this would be like a "Sears" rod, manufactured for the store.