The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St. Croix Reign - Good Beginner Rod???

All I can say is around here it gets COLD, so I like a very soft line. I have been using SYLK for years and still do at times, but there is a problem with the tip sinking. I fixed mine by putting a HI-FLOTE butt section on which works great.
But, this year I got a hold of Rio Selective Trout II DT and this line is fantastic.
I took client out with it. He laid the line out on the river up stream in the wind and it went so straight I thought he was snagged. He then lifted the tip of his rod and off came the line easy as can be and then laid out nice and straight again.
I am no authority on different makes of line so forgive me Cortland. I just use what works for me. My next line will be the Air Flo Ridgeline. Friends that fish as much and same waters as myself love it.
Maybe the Cortlnd/Hardy rep will post on what he likes in his line.

I can't answer on the rod action either, but please take a class or two, they really do help break bad habits. There is even a section here by Doug McNair that is very informative.
Joni
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I know you already ordered your rod, I just thought since I just went through the exact same process I would post my 2 cents.

After doing a LOT of internet research and shaking every stick I could get my hands on at SW and a couple local shops, and asking many questions on this forum (thanks all) I decided to order an Albright A-5 for 160 bucks on sale. I ordered it knowing I wanted to compare it's action and finish quality with an ECHO classic that also costs 150 at a local shop. I really liked both rods, but preferred the action of the Albright which seemed a bit quicker. Neither rod would be considered a fast action rod, I think the ECHO classic leans towards a medium action and the Albright is medium-fast. Both rods looked like they were very well built for the price.

I went with the Albright, but have yet to actually fish with it because of weather.

I think for beginner's like us it really boils down to personal preference until we figure out our casting styles and want to invest a lot more money. A good warranty is always a plus.

On a side note, I also ordered a couple reels from Albright and am impressed with the quality. Good tight tolerances, and they look nice, and I particularly like the drag on the Bugati model I ordered. They were also on sale real cheap.

Anyway, happy for you that you finally made your purchase, I hope you love it. Isn't it exciting getting new fly fishing stuff!!?? Let us all know what you think about it after you fish with it a few times.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Oh...about the fly line...I just picked up a SA Mastery series GPX trout line for 35 bucks at my local fly shop. They said SA is updating the series of lines and they wanted to get rid of these to make room for the new ones. I have heard a lot of good things about this particular fly line and decided to pick it up for 35 bucks. WF F 5wt.

Maybe if you ask around you could find a similar deal on these lines.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Schlick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback dorian.ducker. I was considering the Albright rods. They were actually one of my first choices due to some fantastic reviews I've seen online (yellowstone angler's site - I think that's where it was). But I haven't found many retailers in Canada that sell that brand - other than Bass Pro who has it listed at $225 for the G-5. I was thinking about ordering it online, but duty, shipping, and tax usually ad far too much of an expense.

Watch that your stuff is still honoring the Lifetime Warranty - I've heard that certain sale items from Albright don't carry the same warranty...

I have already ordered my St. Croix, so I'm hoping it wasn't a foolish choice. I haven't given the store owner my deposit yet, but for me, a verbal agreement is not something I could ever go back on. I may speak with him when I go there later this week, to see if (once he gets my rod in) he'd let me compare it to the Sage Launch, and St. Croix Avid series (which he also carries), and go with which ever I end up preferring.

We shall see... the rod will be in for March... so I will let you all know how I make out. Thanks for all the help and great feedback.

Schlick.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

It's too bad you couldn't have gotten your hands on an Echo II to try out. For the money and it being Asian built, it was designed by Tim Rajeff. If I'm not mistaken, it comes with two tips. One a distance tip and one an "accuracy" tip. They also have an Echo Classic. Medium actions. I've thrown both series and they cast very smooth and powerful for the money.

Tim Rajeff's Echo Fly Rods and Reels
Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

The Cortland Precision Trout Dyna Tip would be my first choice. The Dyna tips float but do it with the true thin diameter of a 5 (doesn't need a bulky loop to hold it up), the slicker finish, and a rocket II taper make for a great combo. I have some guides that fish Winston B IIx's (a moderately fast action) and feel it is the best line made for those rods. We also have a new price point line called Pro Cast, that I've been using for demo rods at shows and with customers. It cast great at all distances, but it came out late in the fall and I haven't had a chance to fish it yet. The 444 peach is kinda of an old standby. I love it on glass rods, and moderate rods like the old Sage LL or Winston WT's. With a faster rod it will fish great in close, but it is very supple and you will lose some distance.

One thing to keep in mind, I prefer fishing lines to casting lines. Our Laser line is great for distance and on the flats thats a plus. But on a trout stream I am much more interested in how a line handles 30-50 ft. cast, how it roll casts, will it mend? can I put it down soft? The ability to cast 90 feet on a trout stream is fairly meaningless, especially in the east. I have a good friend who guides in Montana, she tells me the clients she looks forward to the least are FFF certified casters, because the fish are all twenty feet away and the first thing they do is cast over them and put them down.