The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM

texag11 is on a distinguished road
Question Redington Link?

I searched but did not find much info on the Link on this forum. Sorry if it has been discussed before. I'm new here. So has anyone here used the link? Or heard how it is? I noticed one at a shop the other day and it felt pretty good but I have not had the chance to cast it. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Redington Link?

Still a pretty new rod, but found this for you

Eat More Brook Trout: Gear Review: The Redington Link with Rise reel
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enough

Rather than leave you hanging here I will give you my take on the Link. Please try the rod if you can before taking outside advise because it really is a feel thing.

My son fishes the Link in 9'6" 5wt. As much as I hate the expression "It is what it is" it really does apply here.

We also had a 9'6" CPX and this was the upgrade. The Link in my son's mind is an upgrade as it has a little more feel for dry fly fishing than the CPX. I actually really liked the CPX and going back to the RS4 I think Redington is going in the wrong direction in trying to define itself as a "top end" fast action rod producer.

Anyhow, what it is; A fast action rod that excells in windy conditions and where distance is a factor. It has lots of backbone and is ideal for larger offerings to larger fish. It would also be great for tying a bunch of stuff to one of those bobber thingies that my son likes to use. For pontoon boat fishing on lakes it also shines.

This is what we had in mind for this rod and are happy with it. My son uses his RS4 for small dries etc.

What it isn't, is a "jack of all trades" that most would expect in a 5 wt. rod. It is almost clumsy at shorter distances and it demands "Grand" type taper which IMO is not ideal for presenting dries. Although it feels light in hand, the swing wieght and stiffness does not allow much or any feel until you get some line in the air.

Again, this is my 2 cents but I really think Redington is stepping out into no man's land. At $350-375 they are getting dangerously close to some pretty special rods with some major "brand name" market value. And is the Link really $150-$200 better than it's "value priced" competitors at the $150-$250 price point? I really don't think so but that is for you to decide.

I can still pick up a CT, CPS or CT RS4 and see a great value for the money spent. I'm just not feeling this with the Link and if I was paying retail I would probably step up to a VXP for the $150 or so more.

I would think that if you are after a larger wieght rod for streamers and alike it would be a very good choice in the 7-8wt. range.

I would also like to mention that this rod was sent to me at no charge as a replacement for a broken lower priced rod. It doesn't feel right giving a less than perfect review as the customer service at Sage/Redington is outstanding and we only fish Sage and Redington rods at this time.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review furnacefella! I have been toying with the idea of getting one for streamers. Something like a 9'6" 7wt.

Thanks
Randy
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

This past April I spent both a week in the Mexican Baja chasing roosters and a day on North Carolina's Roanoke dredging stripers with a 9wt Link and was very happy with it. Handled the southern surf wind, a 350 grain sinking line, and some stubborn fish quite nicely. I definitely liked it as a big rod. Don't know how that translates to the smaller weights but I'd be interested in what you find out. (Love my old 4wt CPS).

Furnacefella's point about price range is interesting. My thought is that I use a big rod somewhat seldom so don't wish to drop $800 on one, but, at the same time, I believe you can get away with a cheaper small rod easier than with a cheaper big rod. Throwing the big boys will flat wear you out so using a better rod translates to a more pronounced improvement at +8wt, IMHO.

For the big guns, the Link seems like a great compromise of price and performance - not that I'm in any way suggesting that the performance isn't top-notch.

Full disclosure, I'm a big Redington fan...

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 07-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM

furnacefella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Furnacefella's point about price range is interesting. My thought is that I use a big rod somewhat seldom so don't wish to drop $800 on one, but, at the same time, I believe you can get away with a cheaper small rod easier than with a cheaper big rod. Throwing the big boys will flat wear you out so using a better rod translates to a more pronounced improvement at +8wt, IMHO.

For the big guns, the Link seems like a great compromise of price and performance - not that I'm in any way suggesting that the performance isn't top-notch.
I think we are in agreement here. In the 7+ wt range I think the Link would be an excellent choice.

My point was more directed at the so important 5 wt. arena that seems to make or break a fly rod. With Sage, G Loomis, Orvis and alike offering some very nice mid-priced rods in the 3-5 hundred range I would think Redington would be wise to try and avoid that price point. The brand names are just stronger and if all things are equal most would rather have Sage written on their rod rather than Redington.

On the other hand, the TFOs, St Croixs, and Echos of the world are offering some very impressive rods at a lower price point. I wouldn't want to be drifting too far north of their pricing without offering a noticeable quality difference.

IMO Sage should focus on the high end gear and Redington should be dominating the low end. I say this just from a marketing standpoint however and in no way am I suggesting the Link rod is not worth the asking price.

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to the heavier rods. I fish mostly trout, but once in a blue moon I like to fish big pike and Walleye. There is no way I am dropping $800 on a rod I may use a couple times a season and would consider the Link rod a top contender.

In fact, I know of one guy that after a couple of trips to Cuba was left holding an $800 Sage Xi2 8 wt. that he had absolutely no use for. He ended up selling it on a local internet site for $150.

The only happy part of the story is that it now sits in my closet.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post
In fact, I know of one guy that after a couple of trips to Cuba was left holding an $800 Sage Xi2 8 wt. that he had absolutely no use for. He ended up selling it on a local internet site for $150.

The only happy part of the story is that it now sits in my closet.
There's an 8wt Scott S4S sitting in my closet, acquired under similar happy circumstances.

We're in the same boat, my friend.

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 07-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies and info! I should have mentioned that I would be looking at an 8 weight for red fish. I am between the Link and BVK right now and only because I can get a really good deal on the Link right now. From what I've seen it sounds like the Link can really throw line out there but I would be a little worried about short range casting. A lot of the reds I've targeted recently are within 30 feet.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Well I got the chance to throw a Link out on the water recently. As mentioned on here, it can definitely throw line out. Past about 30 it is very very smooth and a great feeling rod to cast. Up close it doesn't perform quite as well which I guess can be expected from heavy rods. I think putting a heavier line on it would help though. And it was far from bad at casting close, just not as great as it was at a distance. So now I am trying to decide if I should look into something else better suited for close range or not. I do love casting that rod though.