The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bamboo Rods

I have a medium priced bamboo rod that was built by my friend Gary Sandon about 25 years ago. It is 7'-2" 5wt. 4 1/8oz medium action. Faster than my old fiberglass Silaflex slower than my G Series Scott. To be honest I haven't fished it in years, but I remember having fun with it years ago.

I particularly remember a nice 17" Cutthroat I caught on the Fourth of July on the North Fork just upstream of Polebridge MT. That fish put such a bend in the rod I was afraid it was going to break, but I do believe bamboo is more forgiving than graphite in that they bend without breaking while a graphite will bend so far than explode.

RE my bamboo rod, I forgot to mention Gary made a really nice square, tapered oak rod case for it. When I first went to Twin Bridges around 1995 I had it with me and showed it the Glenn Brackett Winston's bamboo guy at the time. I could instantly see that my rod wasn't in the same league as his rods, but he was nice, he pointed out that the length, rod weight and line weight matched up well and the action was pretty nice. Overall a nice rod, not a great rod.

Last edited by glacierjohn; 07-17-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I like the fact you can get a bamboo rod kit from Anglers Roost for 130 bucks. I might have to try one out, a 6' or 6.5' bamboo rod is hard pressed to find around here, everyone thinks they are made of gold.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I like the fact you can get a bamboo rod kit from Anglers Roost for 130 bucks. I might have to try one out, a 6' or 6.5' bamboo rod is hard pressed to find around here, everyone thinks they are made of gold.
What's the deal on those Angler's Roost built up rods? Are they legit? Do they get actual tapered strips of bamboo from Payne, T&T ect, or somehow have inside information on how all those high end rods are designed? $299.00 just seems like a too good to be true deal to me.

John
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
What's the deal on those Angler's Roost built up rods? Are they legit? Do they get actual tapered strips of bamboo from Payne, T&T ect, or somehow have inside information on how all those high end rods are designed? $299.00 just seems like a too good to be true deal to me.

John
Classic tapers are all well documented
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The rods are built to the same tapers as those rods, just not the name on them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 AM

mtdave is on a distinguished road

I started fishing only bamboo about two years ago. I will be making a bunch of rods in the next few years and get alot of satisfaction from the fact that my fishing rod was handmade in the USA. (Chinese Bamboo....) Thanks Dave and Lucca. When I tried to justifiy hundreds of dollars for graphite I just went back to my roots with an old rod and then a new 6 wt. Do it, you won't regret it.
mtdave

Last edited by mtdave; 07-27-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I just got my first bamboo rod this year. I love fishing it, but I find myself still reaching for my graphite rods more often. I am guessing the main reason is that I need more practice / time with the bamboo. The rod is a dream to cast but bamboo as you know is much slower casting stoke than graphite. I will add that catching a fish on bamboo is different than graphite. More of a feeling of being connected with the rod. If I heard this before I actually experienced it, I would have laughed, but in my mind there is some truth to it. I do believe that my new bamboo will soon become my go-to rod. Especially for small river / creek fishing. We are planning a trip to the middle of the Frank Church in Idaho. All wild Cutthroats hungry for dry flies. That trip is a bamboo trip for sure… picture to come soon.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Hello all,

What are the pros and cons of having a bamboo rod? I've never fished one... Any thoughts, opinions, etc?

Thanks,
delopez
If you take the time and fish one, you'll have the answer as to whether or not this is the type of rod that you're looking for.

It's very subjective; similar to purchasing a good musical instrument. You'd never really consider purchasing one until after you'd played it. Same thing for fly rods; of any kind.

I will say that with bamboo, you tend to get what you pay for. Having said that, if you're on that bend, then PM Joni and ask her about her Chinese Zhu bamboo rod experience.

Pocono