The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Sage Circa 389-4 maiden voyage

So I got to sneak out this afternoon to Rocky Mt Park. I hiked up the Fern Lake trail along the Big T. This is my favorite stretch of water. I was all by myself and decided it was time to do some wet wading and dry fly fishing. I took my Circa with me to put it to the test. I won't keep you in suspense, this thing is so unreal it isn't even funny. I can see myself selling off my TXL or ZXL 3wt real soon. And possibly my 4wt TXL In a effort to fund a 4wt Circa.

I had it set up with my Nautilus FWX, Rio Gold WF3W and a Cutthroat dry fly leader with 4' of 6X tippet on that. I fished primarily a size 16 parachute Adams all day, occasionally went to a size 18.

The delicacy with which this rod turned over that leader and laid that dry fly out there is beyond what I ever thought I could do with a fly rod. My ZXL does a great job of delicate presentations but this lands them so soft it is sickening. With short line casts (3-10') of floating line out this thing was awesome, roll casts like a dream too. Now when I got to some spots where I could air it out a little more it came alive like I've never imagined. 30'-40' of line with a nice rhythmic cast produced a fairly tight loop with a beautiful turn over and presentation. Even when my stroke wasn't as patient as it needed to be the rod forgave me and still presented flies beautifully.

When I was patient, remember I am used to TXL , Zaxis, Sage one etc etc this rod was also amazingly accurate. I felt like I could really do what I wanted to do with it. I consider myself to have average casting ability. I could really get the fly in to tight spots when I wanted to.

Some of the best casts and presentations came when I almost felt as if I was squeezing the cork and casting the rod below the cork if that makes any sense at all. That feeling made the rod flex so deeply in the blank all the while not losing line speed.

Best part of this rod was a 9" Brook Trout really bent it over and you could feel the fish down to the cork. This thing is as accurate as the ONE , but with all the feel and control you could hope for.

Don't get me wrong I like my Sage One 3wt and will use it in some areas, but I LOVE this Circa.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Circa 389-4 maiden voyage

Sounds like you have a real winner in your hands Avs. Thanks for the detailed review on your Circa's maiden voyage. This sounds like my kinda rod. If I could just get past the pukey baby poop greenish tint they gave to the spacer it might be a winner. I know, it's how it performs versus how it looks that's most important.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. I have avoided casting this rod because I'm afraid I'll feel the way you have described and will have to by one! I really love slow action rods.

Tell me this, did you hook and land any decent sized trout, 12 - 14" and if so how do you feel the rod handled? Do you feel like the 3wt is strictly a dry fly rod or could cast and fish weighted nymph effectively?

Thanks...I see one of these blanks in my future.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks for the review. I have avoided casting this rod because I'm afraid I'll feel the way you have described and will have to by one! I really love slow action rods.

Tell me this, did you hook and land any decent sized trout, 12 - 14" and if so how do you feel the rod handled? Do you feel like the 3wt is strictly a dry fly rod or could cast and fish weighted nymph effectively?

Thanks...I see one of these blanks in my future.
Biggest fish I caught was about a 11" Brookie, so nothing to big. The guy at the shop who sold me mine fishes the 4wt and he says he has caught many 20+" fish with his no problem.

I think with the 3wt it could handle a weighted nymph, I wouldn't be afraid to cast a size 14 beadhead with a 18 trailing it. I would just be nervous about putting a big strike indicator on with that rig. If I nymph with this it will be with a small yarn indicator.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The cira is a supurb stick. I think it casts and feels way better then the One. Im glad you like the rod, I would love to have one but its going to take some saving.

Storm Drain Bonefisher