The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 AM

amertens is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hardy zenith

After breaking my favorite all arounder 5 wt I casted a bunch of different rods. At almost half the price of most the rods I was playing with I bought the loop evotec 590-M. I wouldn't overlook the loop stuff, if you get a chance go wiggle one.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Althought, I never casted the 5wt, I used to have the Zenith 7wt and 8wt. but sold the 7wt because I needed a shorter 6wt. From my experience with those 2 heavier weights, they cast with accuracy, power and you can place your fly roughly or delicately with them. The 7wt and 8wt aren't for <20FT cast, but I am pretty sure the 5wt fast can do almost everything.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I have casted, but do not own, the zenith 9' 5 weight. If you are looking for a good all-rounder that can handle delicate distance presentation and at the same time a soft tip for up close presentation I can tell you the zenith is a solid performer. It has a nice stiff butt section for distance casting and nymph rigs/streamers. the tip is very soft so you can tip cast up close with dead accuracy. Fantastic rod for what your looking for in performance. The loop opti-stream 9' 5 weight also fits this exact same category at $100 less than the zenith, you may want to take a long hard look at this rod. It has almost identical performance as the zenith at a better price. For those of you who havent tried loop rods, I should tell you they are amazing and shock me in raw performance. Lastly I will mention one more rod I loved in the stiff-butt, soft tip category; this would be the C.F. Burkheimer 9' 5 weight classic. The burkheimer DAL series is a much slower and full flexing rod series, but the classic series has a glorious soft tip and perfectly balanced butt section. This rod has impressed me more than any other. The line tracking capability is bar none, soooo accurate and incredible tippet protection, yet it can unload a 70ft. cast with precision. I would also take a long hard look at this rod if I were you.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Well, I cast the zenith, Marksman, Winston Passport, Loop Evotec, and an old Winston LT last night. I didn't like the zenith at all. I liked the rest. However, none really sold me on them. I might be purchasing a Scott g2, or another Winston b2t. We shall see. I have to cast the Loomis LP, Loop Cross S1, Loop Opti Stream, and a few others yet, before I make my decision.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Well, I cast the zenith, Marksman, Winston Passport, Loop Evotec, and an old Winston LT last night. I didn't like the zenith at all. I liked the rest. However, none really sold me on them. I might be purchasing a Scott g2, or another Winston b2t. We shall see. I have to cast the Loomis LP, Loop Cross S1, Loop Opti Stream, and a few others yet, before I make my decision.
Looks like you are lucky to have quite a variety to sample and cast. The only fly shop within 50 miles of me carries 2 or maybe 3 and Sage is one of them. I would like to hear why you were turned off completely by the Zenith.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Well, to start it felt very similar to my helios. When I think "smooth" with rods, I of that smooth energy distribution that you can feel from your hand to the tip of the rod. Or, the feeling of the rod being an extension of your arm and not a "prosthetic limb" (as quoted somewhere in this forum). For me, the winston BIIt has that feeling. For others, maybe it's a sage one, or something else. I think I have a Scott G2 on its way and I hear it's a lot like a Winston BIIt, so I'm anxious to try it out. As for the my first sentence, I felt like the Zenith was very similar to the Helios. It has a little softer tip (IMO), but the close up feel of the rod was a bit lacking. It would toss a cast to Canada and back with no issue, but the overall "connected" feel that I'm referring to was not there for me. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Me too! I understand an angler might have a preference for a faster rod, say Sage ONE or a slower rod, like W BIIIx or Scott G2 but I know of few fly fishers who have not relished Zenith's charming personality and broad spectrum of capabilities. A few don't care for its slotted reel seat... Scott has their new "Radian" to check out too. What rod are you currently fishing that you love?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
A few don't care for its slotted reel seat...
I am one of those. But I received an email a few weeks ago saying they are changing the reel seat to a more traditional wood-spacer design. Now, do I want the 8 1/2' 4 wt or the 9' 5?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:51 PM

The Zenith that I cast last night had the new seat on it. I should have taken a picture. Honestly, the rod that I'm using right now is a Steve Godshall custom spey. I've been swinging for trout, lately. I sold the 6 weight and now I'm searching for that Scott G2, or Winston BIIt. I have never cast the BIIIx. I hear mixed feelings about it, but it's a Winston... I would give it a shot!

The BIIt takes my breath away... I miss it dearly... I have an 1106/4113 extendable butt ACR rod that I'm selling over on spey pages. If that rod wasn't sooo long, it would take the torch in place of the Winston.