The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Hardy zenith (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/325919-hardy-zenith.html)

delopez 07-22-2013 07:53 PM

Hardy zenith

Had anyone used this rod? Care to share your thoughts and experiences with it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hardyreels 07-22-2013 08:24 PM

Re: Hardy zenith

Hi,

I have not.......... but that won't stop me from asking; do you already have one or are you considering one?

I am using one of the new Marksman 2 - T series rods in 13' #8 and I like it very much. If you are looking to add a rod, everything I have read about the complete Marksman line is good.

What Zenith rod are you speaking of?

delopez 07-22-2013 08:43 PM

9' 5 weight. I'm looking for a fantastic trout rod. Considering the marksman as well.

Hardyreels 07-22-2013 08:44 PM

It seems that the good news about the Marksman rods spans the entire series, I like mine.

delopez 07-22-2013 09:13 PM

Like I said, I'm looking for a great trout rod. Winston have taken the cake with their progressive action. I want a rod that will load up close, as well as long range. I had the Helios rod. I loved that it would cast a mile, but hated the tippet protection. I had a winston b2t and I kick myself in the rear for ever parting with it. So, I'm out on the hunt for a replacement.
So far, I've narrowed it down to hardy, winston, and loop. They all offer progressive-type tapers similar to that of the winston. I plan to fish all three and make a decision based off of that.

chased 07-22-2013 09:36 PM

I would go with the Winston that you know and love. I would also urge you to check out the Scott G2 if you haven't already.

-Chase

chipgerrard 07-22-2013 10:04 PM

I have tried all these rods and I can honestly say my new addition(NRX LP)blows them outta the water. Super delicate for short range but can cast a mile as well.

Try casting one. You will quickly fogey the word zenith exists.....

delopez 07-22-2013 10:12 PM

I will have to do that, but I really, really dislike the horrific coloring of that rod and the thread wraps. Now, where the coloring means nothing in comparison to the performance. I still want a rod that performs as well as it looks. :)

However,
That being said, I still need to cast it to see if it will change my mind. :)

chipgerrard 07-22-2013 10:42 PM

I agree on the colouring of the blue and black. I bought the green with silver wraps and it is stunning

utah daveii 07-22-2013 11:38 PM

I own a 486 Zenith and love it. I have casted the 590 a lot and like it as well. The zenith is a great balance for power and touch.