The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/325976-sage-method-8-weight-fly-rod.html)

tridentfly 07-23-2013 08:59 AM

Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod

This year was full of great new product introductions. Great new rods came out from Winston, Redington, Hardy, etc. But I’m always waiting to see what comes off the bench of Jerry Siem from Sage. This year boasted two new releases: the Method, which replaces the TCX, and the all-new Motive, a “low” cost saltwater rod.

We talked about the Method’s release in an earlier post and many asked for a review… here it is – straight from iCast 2013.

For more information on Sage Method 8-weight rod please read Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing

sweetandsalt 07-23-2013 04:07 PM

Re: Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod

Have you sampled enough Methods to ascertain if there is a "sweet spot" in this series? Like in TCX I felt it was the #7...never pulled the trigger though I fished one in the southern Bahamas once.

chipgerrard 07-23-2013 04:29 PM

I can't believe they canceled the tcx. I own the 8 weight switch for steelhead and love it!

I still think it is the best looking rod out there. That green is amazing.

As for the method, I will not buy one just because its ugly.

krikau27 07-23-2013 06:45 PM

Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly. :)

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod. :)
Kim

chipgerrard 07-23-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krikau27 (Post 575371)
Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly. :)

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod. :)
Kim

Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks

stl_geoff 07-23-2013 09:38 PM

Im buying a 7wt TCX tomorrow :D Im pretty pumped about it. And sorry, my guy only has another 5wt.

biggie_robs 07-23-2013 11:47 PM

Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood. :eek:

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.

krikau27 07-24-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipgerrard (Post 575407)
Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks

I love my TCX too much to sell it. :)

Kim

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggie_robs (Post 575466)
Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood. :eek:

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.

It was ment more or less as a joke :)

Kim

sweetandsalt 07-24-2013 09:31 AM

I have thoroughly appreciated the specialized virtues of TCR and TCX models as super potent, super accurate specialty rods. If Method is lighter and more accurate with enhanced responsiveness, I will happily fish a red rod. These rods specialized nature targets them to a minority of fly fishers to begin with and apparently their color may further limit the elite cadre that ultimately take advantage of their [anticipated] tactical precision.

stl_geoff 07-24-2013 01:59 PM

I cast a 6wt Method today. The picture they have on their site makes it way brighter red then it actually is. Its more of a maroon, its almost the same color as my truck actually, we compaired.

it casts nice, it was accurate, but it felt "soulless" There just wasnt anything there casting it. I mentioned that and Craig told me that he felt the same way...until you start aiming at 50+ feet, then it really starts to sing. i said I liked the Cira and TCX better ( especially since I was picking up my 7wt TCX ) and he agreed.