The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod

This year was full of great new product introductions. Great new rods came out from Winston, Redington, Hardy, etc. But I’m always waiting to see what comes off the bench of Jerry Siem from Sage. This year boasted two new releases: the Method, which replaces the TCX, and the all-new Motive, a “low” cost saltwater rod.

We talked about the Method’s release in an earlier post and many asked for a review… here it is – straight from iCast 2013.

For more information on Sage Method 8-weight rod please read Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Method 8-weight Fly Rod

Have you sampled enough Methods to ascertain if there is a "sweet spot" in this series? Like in TCX I felt it was the #7...never pulled the trigger though I fished one in the southern Bahamas once.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

I can't believe they canceled the tcx. I own the 8 weight switch for steelhead and love it!

I still think it is the best looking rod out there. That green is amazing.

As for the method, I will not buy one just because its ugly.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly.

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod.
Kim
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
Love my TCX 9' 7wt. Even though Method will be a TCX with connetic technology, I wouldn't buy one cause the color is just too girly.

Oooh look at that guy. He's a world champion caster. It will be known as the gay rod.
Kim
Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im buying a 7wt TCX tomorrow Im pretty pumped about it. And sorry, my guy only has another 5wt.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood.

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.

Last edited by biggie_robs; 07-23-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
Hah. Couldn't agree more. You interested in selling that 9' 7wt. I'm looking for a 7 or 8 weight. If anyone has one let me know

Thanks
I love my TCX too much to sell it.

Kim

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Wow, I had no idea people would be so free to admit that they think the color of their fly rod says something about their manhood.

Edit to say: I'll rock a fluorescent pink rod with a Hello Kitty reel if that's the best gear to catch whatever I'm targeting.
It was ment more or less as a joke

Kim
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have thoroughly appreciated the specialized virtues of TCR and TCX models as super potent, super accurate specialty rods. If Method is lighter and more accurate with enhanced responsiveness, I will happily fish a red rod. These rods specialized nature targets them to a minority of fly fishers to begin with and apparently their color may further limit the elite cadre that ultimately take advantage of their [anticipated] tactical precision.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I cast a 6wt Method today. The picture they have on their site makes it way brighter red then it actually is. Its more of a maroon, its almost the same color as my truck actually, we compaired.

it casts nice, it was accurate, but it felt "soulless" There just wasnt anything there casting it. I mentioned that and Craig told me that he felt the same way...until you start aiming at 50+ feet, then it really starts to sing. i said I liked the Cira and TCX better ( especially since I was picking up my 7wt TCX ) and he agreed.

Storm Drain Bonefisher