The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Scott Rod?

Test cast today and was freakin amazing. Lighter than my 590 Z-Axis, but felt similar. Fast and when the guys in the shop tugged on her like a fish she felt alive. Good thing there are 3 paydays in August! Will definitely be picking one up after I get someone to rent me one to see how she truly fishes!

Randy
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

DAM YOU SCOTT! just when i thought i may save some money!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
Test cast today and was freakin amazing. Lighter than my 590 Z-Axis, but felt similar. Fast and when the guys in the shop tugged on her like a fish she felt alive. Good thing there are 3 paydays in August! Will definitely be picking one up after I get someone to rent me one to see how she truly fishes!

Randy
Like you I also got to test cast a Radian yesterday and I also have a 590 Z-Axis. Unfortunately this shop only has the busy street in front of the shop as a place to test rods, so I was limited in distance and there were lots of distractions, cars going by and an overhead power line, kind of crazy really. If I plan ahead when they are not short handed we can take to rod to a park a couple of blocks away.

Anyway my first impression doing the inside the shop wiggle test is that it is much stiffer than my two Scott G-Series rods, very similar to my Z-Axis. It feels lighter in the hand, though the rod doesn't have it's weight written on it like most. It was hard to tell "feel" from the little casting I did, 25'-45', but it was effortless, the line just zipped right out there, and accurate, I was able to hit little leaves and other spots I aimed at without difficulty. I didn't think of having somebody tug on the line like a fish.

I really like the new guides, reel seat and full wells grip, not that keen on the color of rod or wraps, and though I always loved the unsanded blank, deep graphite grey and bronze-burgundy wraps on the classic G-Series, unsanded on this rod looks cheap compared to a Sage or Winston. All that said I still want one, I just have to decide whether to sell my slightly used (three times) 590 Z-Axis and get a 5 weight Radian, or keep the Z-Axis and get a six weight Radian.

John
Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post

I really like the new guides, reel seat and full wells grip, not that keen on the color of rod or wraps, and though I always loved the unsanded blank, deep graphite grey and bronze-burgundy wraps on the classic G-Series, unsanded on this rod looks cheap compared to a Sage or Winston. All that said I still want one, I just have to decide whether to sell my slightly used (three times) 590 Z-Axis and get a 5 weight Radian, or keep the Z-Axis and get a six weight Radian.

John
Well, I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling your Z, if you should decide to part with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm having a hard time picturing an ugly Scott rod.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Click the image to open in full size.

This image is from Scott's web site. I have neither cast nor seen this rod in person but it looks plenty attractive in this image. Scott is not a flashy rod maker. Every aspect of their "look" is formed functionally. They make extra but invisible efforts to build a helically scrimed blank that is tough and true tracking and use the finest guides and components they can acquire or design. Their President/rod designer traces his time with the company back to its roots and original owner, Harry Wilson, a seminal figure in the history of the graphite fly rod. Again, I am eager to get my hands on one of these Radians.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing an ugly Scott rod.
It's far from ugly, I just prefer the looks of my two old style Powr-plys. I know they had to go with a different color thread. Not going to keep me from buying one. For some reason the unsanded blank seems perfect on the original G-series, but I also like the dark, deep like the bottom of a deep pool, green on a Winston WT. To me that is the most beautiful rod ever made.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

trout champ and glacierjohn - Would your say the Radian was slower, as fast, or faster then your Z-Axis? Less stiff, similar or stiffer?

I personally can't wait to try the 6 wt version!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
trout champ and glacierjohn - Would your say the Radian was slower, as fast, or faster then your Z-Axis? Less stiff, similar or stiffer?

I personally can't wait to try the 6 wt version!
It was hard to tell because I didn't want to cast my line on the street, so no side by side comparison. They were closer than I thought they'd be, but the Radian seemed to have a softer tip and maybe bent a little more further down the rod. I'll have to do a side by side in the park when I get back. My guess on a speed scale of Winston WT to Sage XP, With WT = 5 and XP = 10, Scott G = 6.5, Scott Radian = 8.2 and Sage Z-Axis = 9.0. Just a guess.

Scott is really marketing the Speed with feel which appeals to me, I need to test further to see how true that claim is. BTW, it was the 6 wt version I tried, very nice and felt lighter than my 5 wt Z-Axis.

John
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I just found out about this rod and am very intrigued. I have a 7ft 3wt F2, 8'6" 4wt G2, and a 9ft 6wt S4.

Sometimes I struggle with whether to fish the 6wt or the 4wt and run into a fair number of situations where I want a small dry or emerger in the morning, hopper dropper in the afternoon and nymphing rig, then maybe a small streamer during an afternoon storm, and a small spinner dry in the evening.

I almost always end up fishing the 6wt if the river is large and with the soft tip on the S4, it is usually great....just sometimes wish I had something in the middle in 9ft...strongly considering a 10ft 5wt. Does this rod have the speed and backbone to handle being a 10ft rod?

I know what I am asking for Christmas! Maybe with a nice new Abel clicker.

Last edited by gretch6364; 08-08-2013 at 07:12 PM.