The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM

jmalmy21 is on a distinguished road
Default Newb

Hello everyone! I just came back from spending the weekend w my girlfriend at Spinner Fall Lodge. Fished Lake Britton but unfortunately didnt get to fish fall river. After our trip we have decided that we are taking the next step and going to start fly fishing. W that being said, I am wondering what is w quality rod/reel combo to start/learn with. Mainly I will be fishing lakes and local rivers/streams. Trout is probably the fish i most frequently fish for. but id like to have a rod that can handle some bigger fish. Maybe some salmon or.....idk. Located in Folsom, Ca right outside of Sacramento. But....ill be fishing whenever and where ever lol

All the help on rod/reel combo and any other tips on gear would be MUCH appreciated!!

Jeremy
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newb

Hi Jeremy,
Northern California is blessed with wonderful fishing waters. Folsom is not a bad jumping point to get to other places. Within two hour's drive, you can be fishing lots of different waters for trout. When Steelhead are in the American, you can be on the water within 15 minutes.

Your rod and reel choice is going to be dependent on where and what you want to fish. Big fish in big water means heavier rod. Small fish in smaller water means lighter rod.

The most popular general purpose setup is a nine foot five weight. It can handle most trout needs for small streams, big rivers, and lakes. It will work well for smaller bass and panfish. It can throw moderately heavy streamers, but it can gently present small dry flies. Most modern five weights have the backbones to handle big trout just in case you hook up with Homie.

As for specific rods and reels, I can suggest some, but I won't. Skip the box stores or the tackle shops with small fly fishing departments. Visit the specialty fly fishing retailers. There are four of them in the region that can show you what you need:

American Fly Fishing Company - Sacramento
Kiene's Fly Shop - Sacramento
Fly Fishing Specialties - Citrus Heights
Orvis - Roseville

These shops have educational programs, as well.

If you are looking for a fly fishing social group, look up Granite Bay Flycasters. It has programs for beginners to experts.

Here is a picture of an East Carson River Rainbow Trout.

Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck with your fly fishing endeavor.

Dennis
mcnerney, von behr, jpbfly and 1 others like this.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 PM

Dennis,

Thank you for pointing out the local fly shops. The only one that I could find was American River. I greatly appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Jeremy
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Welcome.

WARNING: Fly rods are like Lay's potato chips... one is never enough and one bag is never enough....

As pointed out above, a good 9" 5-weight is a good place to start. A very effective set up can be had for just a few hundered. Do some research and you will see this.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 PM

HA HA I hear you on that. I figure ill end up having a few. I was looking at purchasing a 3M Ross Essence Elite FC 4pc w a Flyrise Large Arbor fly wheel w Evolution LT drag system. Custom Codura rod and reel case.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy
Dennis this bow is what I call a muscle fishor a ball of nerves
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Jeremy
Dennis this bow is what I call a muscle fishor a ball of nerves
One of my friends caught that fish. I took the picture. It put a good bend in his six weight.