The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM

k9mark is on a distinguished road
Default recommendations please

I'm looking for a rod to fish bass, steelhead, and salmon. I'd like to hear your recommendations.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: recommendations please

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
I'm looking for a rod to fish bass, steelhead, and salmon. I'd like to hear your recommendations.
If you are looking to get a single handed fly rod......If it were me I would get either a 7 or 8 weight. 7 weight is very common for steelhead, 6 weight is common for bass and 9 weight is common for salmon. So meeting in the middle may be a good idea--> 8 weight. How much money are you looking to spend on a fly rod?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

9' 8 wt. Try a few and pick whichever one is easiest to double-haul 60+ feet with. You might start by trying the TFO BVK, St. Croic Legend Elite, or Loomis NRX, depending on your budget.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Im looking for something in the 300 to 500 dollar range. I also should have asked about lines too
Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I use a 9 foot 8 weight Z-Axis for salmon, 6 for steelhead.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:48 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Im looking for something in the 300 to 500 dollar range. I also should have asked about lines too
Well there are certainly some good options in that price range. The Sage VXP in 9' 8 weight retails at $500 and is a hell of a rod, one of my favorite blanks. It has a fast action good for throwing large flies and generating high line speed to penetrate wind. The Orvis Access 9' 8 weight retails at $400, This rod comes in what Orvis calls a "tip flex" meaning most of the action is in the tip of the rod, softer tip with a stiff butt section, this translates to power for big flies, sink tips, and leveraging large game fish, I am also very fond of this blank, it's the old Helios blank w/ out all the bells and wistles, recoil guides, wood insert, fancy hardware, for those of you Orvis guys.

The St. Croix Legend Elite is another great blank retailing at about $450 give or take, again this has a similair action to the tip flex orvis access, and brags a nice green smooth casting blank. If your willing to shovel out about $575 you could get yourself a Loop Opt-stream 9' 8 weight which is a sweeeeeet rod. This thing is loaded with raw performance, soft tip and stiff butt section, the rods line tracking capabilty and smooth casting blank are just amazing I highly recomend this rod.

If it was me, and I had to get one 8 weight for salmon, steelhead and saltwater? I would buy the Sage Xi3, This is my number 1 recommendation for the 8 weight category, I don't own one yet but have fished it many times for steelhead and stripers in the salt. The one thing is this rod has a lightning fast action, one that may be hard for a beginner to get the timing of the rod down, however overall this would be my first choice, but it does wear a pricetag of $725.

FLy-Lines--> Check out the RIO salmon/steelhead line. The Scientific Angler Steelhead Line. These would be good choices for you, they have a heavy weight foward head that will load an 8 weight rod nicely.

Good Luck, hope this helps, drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the input guys. While I was surfing the internet I came across the 2011 yellowstone angler 8wt shootout. Very interesting reading.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mark,
You are asking a lot for one rod to cover all three types of fish in California. Let's break this down on what are the preferred line weight categories for each species.

Bass - Striped Bass, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass? You can use as light as a five weight going up to nine weight depending on the species that you are targeting and the presentation that you need to accomplish for those fish. Six weight is the norm for SMB. Eight weight in the norm for Striped Bass and LMB. Sometimes its nice to have a nine weight for those super windy days in the Delta.

Steelhead - Let's face it. The Steelhead in Northern California are not as large as its cousins up north. Depending on presentation, you could be using something as light as a five weight up to an eight weight. Sixes and sevens are the most popular line weight categories.

King Salmon - Here's the reality. What you need for these fish is a rod with a lot of backbone. You can fish as light as an eight weight, but a nine weight is the norm for Kings. Some use ten weights if they feel that they need the extra backbone.

If you really want one rod to do it all, invest in a nine foot eight weight. It covers the spectrum fairly decently.

As for models, I will leave that to the others. Or you can contact Bob Nakagawa at Sierra Anglers in Modesto. The man is a wealth of information. I would not visit the Bass Pro in Manteca unless you really knew what you were looking for. I was not impressed with its fly fishing staff.

Dennis
Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 AM

amertens is on a distinguished road

I'm a pretty big fan of my Grey's XF2 Carnivore in a 9 foot 8 wt. It's not a super fast action if that's what your looking for though.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. While I was surfing the internet I came across the 2011 yellowstone angler 8wt shootout. Very interesting reading.
The yellowstone angler is a decent resource when one is comparing rods. However, the caviat is that these gents only like a certain kind of fly rod, it has to be fast action, with a soft tip, anything else gets a very poor rating. They will take a top notch rod and give it a horrible review so you must take these reviews with a grain of salt. Example, In thier 2011 5 weight shootout they gave the Sage VXP a horrifying review, and it placed at the bottom of the barrell. It just so happens that the VXP is quite possibly my favorite blank, and it performs as my best go-to all-rounder rod, its simply magic for me. The G. Loomis NRX placed at the top of this shootout, so I bought one in a 9' 5 weight, turns out, I really didn't like the rod it wasn't for me, in fact I hated it. So, point is, you need to not only take those reviews with a grain of salt, but also, you should get to a shop and test cast some of these rods yourself. Every angler is different, and has different preferences when it comes to rod flex and action, including the guys at yellowstone angler. Do yourself a favor and get rods in your hands before buying. good luck