The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage warranty

I replaced an 490 SP tip las year. Mine was a blank only, since I built the rod. I think it took a week or two. I do not think it will be an issue.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
I replaced an 490 SP tip las year. Mine was a blank only, since I built the rod. I think it took a week or two. I do not think it will be an issue.
Do you know when they last offered the SP? Seems like it was the late 90's.

I actually wasn't upset that they couldn't repair mine as I found the action so similar to my Scott G series which I liked a little better and used more. Having to chooses a new Sage allowed me to try something different, so I picked the Z-Axis. If I had to choose between a Z-Axis and original SP as my only go-to rod, it would be the SP, I prefer those greater feel, slower action fly rods, just a personal preference.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
Do you know when they last offered the SP? Seems like it was the late 90's.

I actually wasn't upset that they couldn't repair mine as I found the action so similar to my Scott G series which I liked a little better and used more. Having to chooses a new Sage allowed me to try something different, so I picked the Z-Axis. If I had to choose between a Z-Axis and original SP as my only go-to rod, it would be the SP, I prefer those greater feel, slower action fly rods, just a personal preference.
Those SP's are really dreamy rods. I don't own one but have cast Chi's 589. What a gem.

I believe the SP's were produced from 1993-2001 and if memory serves me, the SLT was the replacement.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I've broken my sage vps twice so far falling down. Took it to the local fly shop and they sent it in for $35 s&h. Got a new butt section last time. That was a few years ago and the fly shop is gone now. When I break it again I'll gladly send it in myself and get a replacement for fifty bucks. For broken tip tops etc I would just fix it myself.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I have had to use their rod repair three times.

Once I slipped and broke the tip of my Z-Axis. Went to the shop shipper her back to Sage and had a new one in two weeks in the middle of summer. Total of $50 maybe.

Then I bought a used SP off of ebay and broke the tip. Took her to the shop and sent her in. Sage called me and said I was not the original owner of the rod and could not warranty the work. They told me that the rod was registered to someone else and that guy already used their repair service. The gal at Sage then told me that whoever has the first warranty work done on a rod gets their name associated with the rod forever. They ended up charging me $150 to repair one section.

Last time, just a couple months ago, a client stepped on a Fli and broke the tip. Sent to Sage and had her fixed in one month. That was in the spring. Cost $50.

Randy