The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Sage warranty

Has anyone ever dealt with Sage on their warranty. What are they like? What is the processing procedure when a rod breaks?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage warranty

I have not had to use my Sage warranty, but my buddy has. First off, it takes quite awhile for them to get around to warranty work...months vs weeks. It would be best to send it off sooner then latter. I believe if the rod broke as a defect they will take care of it and you just pay shipping. If it was your fault a new section runs about $60. From what I have read it sounds like most folks end up paying the $60.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Broke the tip section of my Sage One due to a fly with bead chain eyes smacking into it during a cast.Took the rod back to where I bought it and they send it in. 14 days later I had my rod back with a new tip section. I didn't pay anything. The Danish law regarding warranty is 2 years. So if I break my rod, I don't start to pay before after the 2 years. This is of course also because of sages fantastic warranty.

Kim.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

That is the advantage of buying from a walk in fly shop! (as opposed to ordering online)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Its very easy and and no problems. They run between 3 and 6 weeks.

Warranty - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing

Its a breeze. Best way to go is not to procrastinate, send it in asap.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 PM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

VERY VERY EASY ! have done it too two different rods and they replaced with no questions asked...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamborn_jr77 View Post
VERY VERY EASY ! have done it too two different rods and they replaced with no questions asked...
Same with me. My dog jumped on my 15 year old Sage SP last summer, the rod exploded into five pieces. I filled out the online warranty form and sent it in with a letter explaining that it was totally my fault ( actually my dog's fault). It took a couple weeks before I received a call explaining they no longer built that rod, but offered a new ZXL or Z-Axis. I took the Z-Axis.

John
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent my RPL in three times now and they are great about getting it done. 3 to 6 weeks has been normal. It used to be $20, but is now $50. I took mine in to my local fly shop (not where I bought the rod originally, but a Sage dealer) and they sent it in and called me when it was back. Great warranty!

Kelly.

P.S.: I now need to send it back again due to a broken tip section, but I've been lazy about it...and, perhaps a little embarrassed to be doing it a fourth time
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak to the moment, but Sage 'used to' have two devoted staff members just for rod repairs. Problem is they get 'lots' of broken rods every month so getting to yours can take awhile. Other problem is the age dating of the rod itself. When they run out of 'parts' its game over and they're offer you a replacement rod.

That's one of the good things about purchasing a rod from Burkie. They roll all their own. Don't have the part, no big deal, just roll a new one.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
Same with me. My dog jumped on my 15 year old Sage SP last summer, the rod exploded into five pieces. I filled out the online warranty form and sent it in with a letter explaining that it was totally my fault ( actually my dog's fault). It took a couple weeks before I received a call explaining they no longer built that rod, but offered a new ZXL or Z-Axis. I took the Z-Axis.

John
That scares the bejeesus out of me because I broke my 589-5 SP and sent it in and I'm praying it gets repaired.