The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upgrade or more of the same: ZXL to BIIIX

BIIIx and ZXL are very similar and have, basically the same capabilties. Which to choose would be a personal call. I really don't believe that the BIIIx has more power than the ZXL, it might be a bit faster, and feels a little lighter, but not more power. I think that it is a toss-up between these two.

If you want something with just a little more "horsepower", I would consider the G. Loomis GLX Streamdance, NRX LP (simply an awesome #5), the Beulah Platinum, CF Burkheimer Classic (not DAL), St. Croix Legend Elite, and Hardy Zenith.

Lot more horsepower, Sage One, G. Loomis NRX original, Echo3.

The new Scott Radian sounds intriguing, but I haven't laid hands on one yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I've not cast the biiix so I can not offer your a comparison on it to the ZXL. I own and fish the 486-4 and the 490-4 ZXL rods and they are truly, as you've experienced, great fly rods. I often kick myself for not getting another one to have "just in case" but I can't have everything. I nymph fish with both of these rods regularly, with double nymph rigs and putty indies without issue. Are they better dry fly rods? Heck, if you ask me, most trout weight rods are better dry fly rods. Every rod I own, when throwing only a dry fly, comes alive more than it does with nymphs and streamers. If I could cast nothing but dry flies all day every day that is what I would do because casting is such a pleasure. But my fishing is limited, and I have to make the most of it and fish nymphs and streamers when the time calls for it. I've fished streamers on both the 4 weights as well, but it does not excel when I add large payloads. I can do it, but it's not my preference, certainly with a 4 weight. But why not the Sage ZXL 690-4? You get the stroke you love, and a larger rod to handle the payloads, but not as stiff as, say my 6 weight XP? A solid rod in between? The Sage 590-4 Z-Axis. I own this in both the 490 and 590 and that 590 will handle payloads and battle wind with the best of them, with much more feel than my 690 XP.

Sage recommendations based on your love of the ZXL feel.
690-4 ZXL
590-4 Z-Axis - quicker, for sure. But casts like a Sage Gen 5 rod. Still a great big river dry fly rod too.

I can't help you with the Winston.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:21 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post
Old news (that I am sure you have considered) but what you are describing is a Z-Axis. I am always a day late and a dollar short but I think the technology in the ZXL and Z-Axis is as good as it gets and adjusting one's stroke from one to the other is effortless for me.
When I started thinking about the next logical rod, Sage or otherwise, the Z-Axis was the first rod that popped into my head. I absolutely agree with you that the technology in both rods is about as good as it gets. I have not cast the 5wt Z-Axis, but have casts a buddies 6 wt (ironically his 5 wt is a ZXL) and felt it a tad too stiff for my likely. That being said, since I've gotten better at casting some of the faster, stiffer rods I didn't care for in the past now feel quite a bit better. I am going to try to borrow his Z-Axis this fall since he rarely fishes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
I think the BIIIx would be perfect because you've tried it and like it. It will certainly have more reserve power than a ZXL, so therefore more versatile. In terms of build - I don't think you can get much better than Winston.
I like the way you think! To me the B3X felt ever so slightly faster but did seem to have more reserve power when I tried to punch it into the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
If you want something with just a little more "horsepower", I would consider the G. Loomis GLX Streamdance, NRX LP (simply an awesome #5), the Beulah Platinum, CF Burkheimer Classic (not DAL), St. Croix Legend Elite, and Hardy Zenith.
Interesting call on the Beulah, I automatically assumed they would be slower/less powerful for some reason. I have considered the Legend Elite as I do like St Croix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
But why not the Sage ZXL 690-4? You get the stroke you love, and a larger rod to handle the payloads, but not as stiff as, say my 6 weight XP? A solid rod in between? The Sage 590-4 Z-Axis. I own this in both the 490 and 590 and that 590 will handle payloads and battle wind with the best of them, with much more feel than my 690 XP.
I considered the 6wt ZXL for awhile but just couldn't find one for a reasonable price on the auction sites. I'm glad you mentioned the XP as I'm really starting to think that a VXP might be what I'm looking for.

I'm not a big Sage guy, it just happens that I currently own more Sages then any other brand. I have owned, or currently own, a number of St. Croix and Scott rods. I thinl I'm actually more partial to those two rod companies more than Sage, but it's all about the rod and not who built it.