The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 AM

danolo is on a distinguished road
Default Old un-identifiable bamboo fly rod

I have an old 9.6 foot fly rod..no markings, name, or any identifiable item. Can any one give me an idea of what I have/don't have and is it of any value? I am looking to sell the rod as is and I also have one-half of a Meisselbach Bros reel to sell with it. See enclosed picture

Your photo links were removed. We do not allow new members to sell items here. You must have 100 posts to sell on our forum.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-31-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old un-identifiable bamboo fly rod

Pictures aren't showing.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Pictures not showing.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolo View Post
I have an old 9.6 foot fly rod..no markings, name, or any identifiable item. Can any one give me an idea of what I have/don't have and is it of any value? I am looking to sell the rod as is and I also have one-half of a Meisselbach Bros reel to sell with it. See enclosed picture

/14033656de0d44ee
I can't see your pictures either.

As a rule of thumb, longer bamboo fly rods aren't all that much in demand. They tend to be pretty heavy. Unless the rod had been refinished, if it was made by a known rod maker, it would have been marked. One quick thing to look at is the reel seat. If it looks cheap, chances are the rod is of fairly low quality.

Meisselbach reels can be of value. Not sure about only having a half of one. I guess it may depend on exactly which reel you have, and which half of the reel it is.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

No pictures here either. That aside, with no markings on the rod my bet is this one that was made 'post war' in Japan. Thousands of those things were sent to the US.

Actual vale? Zip/Nada.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In order to post pictures, you need to up-load to a picture hosting site then down-load to here
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html

The rod could be anything. Decals wear off as does script. But as a rule of thumb, a 9.5' cane rod is heavier to use than most people want to deal with and as such probably of little interest.
As for the reel, if it's a Meisselbach Airex.... The Airex compay actually had nothing to do with the pre-war Meisselbach Brothers reel company and were just using the name
They're good little reels, but not especially valuable.... 30 bucks for a really nice one. I have one of these

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.