The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Winston Biit

A co-worker of mine uses an 8' 4 weight WT, we went out a few days ago on a local spring creek, I had my Orvis 8' 4 weight superfine. We switched rods for a while, and I must say the WT was stiff competition. They are two different rods, and he was very impressed by the touch rod, but I was also blown away by the performance of the WT. The trout were sippin' size 18 white parachutes I had tied, and the WT put them in the riffle with such delicacy I almost lost my marbles :/
jaybo41 and cletus like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:30 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Just to pile on here a little more, I recently built up a 9' 4wt WT and luuuurrrvvve it. It's not a common length, which is why I was able to score the blank on deep discount.

The rod lands a dry fly like a dream, and I really appreciate the 9' length for mending over tricky current(s). I have some uber-fast 4 and 5 wt sticks, but the WT and my 5wt SF-era Scott G have taken over trout duties until I'm back to nymphing this coming winter.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM

njfly is on a distinguished road

I have an 8'6 3wt Winston IM6 which is my go to small dry fly rod on the east coast. If you like the BIIT, they should be on closeout in the next few months. Check MRFC.com soon. They are being discontinued. You should be able to pick one up for around 400-450.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

They have Scott s4 rods up for sale now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 9'0" BIIt 5 wt. that's my favorite carbon presentation rod for medium sized trout. It will not be leaving my possession - ever!

Drops a dry fly on the water like a feather. I've even had trout take a fly in the air before it hit the water on casts from that rod.

Pocono
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This is the replacement for the BIIT...the reel seat has the members of the Winston Forum in full gagging mode...

Winston Boron III LS Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing

...me too

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

As long as they have an option to replace the reel seat with some kind of wood insert, I think this rod will do well... I loooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeedddddddddd my b2t, as I said earlier and can't wait to see what this thing can do.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

I don't find the WT slower than the BIIt (I've had three of each, mostly in comparable specifications). The WT has a stiffer butt than the BIIt, which bends down to the handle... which gives me the impression (it might be a false one) that the WT a faster rod.

Some on the Winston Forum describe the BIIt's as the closest to cane you can get in a graphite rod.

Last edited by sageandonion; 08-16-2013 at 08:02 AM.