The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about
Default James Green 5/6 weight

On a recent trip to one of my favorite stretches of CA water, I was able to give James Green 8'3" 5/6 WT a test run.

When casting in close, I noticed the rod had a lively tip that made it easy to make short accurate casts. I was able to load the rod with 10' of line a flick my flies under cover along the edge. When casting about 30', the rod flexes uniformly in the mid section. This made the rod is smooth and easy to fish. On longer casts. the flex in the butt section increases and the rod shows it's power.

Even though this is a 5 WT, the action makes it enjoyable to fight smaller fish. I appreciated this because most of the fish I saw on this trip were in the foot range

This rod delicately threw small mayflies, heavy nymphs and streamers on sinking leaders.
This is a great do everything rod that combines feel and functionality, making it an ideal for most river fishing in the West.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: James Green 5/6 weight

That's one beautiful river with some healthy looking fish! I have yet to dabble with glass but posts like this certainly do peak my curiosity in them. Thanks for sharing.
650flyguy likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: James Green 5/6 weight

Great looking spot & fish,

If you start to use glass for trout Jason, I believe you'll like it. I've been using my old Orvis Full Flex for trouting and it is perfect for the smaller creeks. My rod is only a 6'6" because I like short rods on the small stuff but any length will be a pleasure to use.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

cracking fish, on a great rod, with a classic fly....the royal wulff if i'm not mistaken...

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You know what I like best about these pictures? it's the fact that you have a nice royal wulff in the corner of the fish's mouth. My personal favorite dry fly. I love the look!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Great looking spot & fish,

If you start to use glass for trout Jason, I believe you'll like it. I've been using my old Orvis Full Flex for trouting and it is perfect for the smaller creeks. My rod is only a 6'6" because I like short rods on the small stuff but any length will be a pleasure to use.

Ard
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Be careful Ard that is how I started getting (back) into glass. I began using a 6'6" 2 WT Steffen for teeny local streams. Then I acquired a James Green 7'3" 3 WT for general creeking. Then, I went with this 5/6 for rivers. Now, I have a 7 WT switch in the works for steelhead and the surf.