The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Orvis access 9' 5 weight custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
The talks over these orvis blanks certainly gets crazy. A gentleman at the orvis rod shop described to me about a year ago, when the helios 1 was still in production, that the taper in the access blank is exactly the same only the helios has a thinner and thus more lightweight scrim. And that the helios had better components. However the fishability of these two rods is almost identical due to the same taper. Anyway, that's how it was explained to me. The helios 2 however, is a completely different rod than the access.
The Access rods use technology from the Helios 1. Whether it's the scrim or the taper I don't know, but the blanks aren't the same. They are nice rods, however. I used a 9' 5wt Access rod and reel on the Bitteroot last August on a guided drift and the rig performed quite well, even if it felt noticeably heavier than my 8'6" Hydros 5wt w/ Hydros 3 reel.

I remember the Hydros vs. Helios debates. The Hydros rods used exactly the same blank as Helios 1, but with different paint and lesser components than the Helios 1. Any difference in casting feel would have to be due to the differing components. The Hydros reel seat in particular is much heavier than the Helios 1, but I have no doubt that Recoil guides versus standard snakes would also affect casting feel. Online and in catalogs Orvis never came out and said the rods were built on the same blanks, but if you bought a Hydros rod the little flyer that came with the rod mentioned it explicitly.

Last edited by biggie_robs; 08-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
The Access rods use technology from the Helios 1. Whether it's the scrim or the taper I don't know, but the blanks aren't the same. They are nice rods, however. I used a 9' 5wt Access rod and reel on the Bitteroot last August on a guided drift and the rig performed quite well, even if it felt noticeably heavier than my 8'6" Hydros 5wt w/ Hydros 3 reel.

I remember the Hydros vs. Helios debates. The Hydros rods used exactly the same blank as Helios 1, but with different paint and lesser components than the Helios 1. Any difference in casting feel would have to be due to the differing components. The Hydros reel seat in particular is much heavier than the Helios 1, but I have no doubt that Recoil guides versus standard snakes would also affect casting feel. Online and in catalogs Orvis never came out and said the rods were built on the same blanks, but if you bought a Hydros rod the little flyer that came with the rod mentioned it explicitly.
I guess unless we work in the rod shop at Orvis we'll never know exactly, but if the scrim wall being thinner on the helios is the only difference, than the only advantages would be swing weight and physical weight. That's interesting because I've fished the 9' 5 weight helios and access side by side, both tip flex 9.5 to keep it apples to apples and they felt almost identical except for the weight. Is it possible that you fished and access and helios/hydros that didn't have the same flex indexes? because if you did then they would feel very different having different flex profiles.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
I guess unless we work in the rod shop at Orvis we'll never know exactly, but if the scrim wall being thinner on the helios is the only difference, than the only advantages would be swing weight and physical weight. That's interesting because I've fished the 9' 5 weight helios and access side by side, both tip flex 9.5 to keep it apples to apples and they felt almost identical except for the weight. Is it possible that you fished and access and helios/hydros that didn't have the same flex indexes? because if you did then they would feel very different having different flex profiles.
It's possible. My Hydros is a tip-flex and I don't recall what the Access was. I also have a Hydros reel which is a little heavier than the corresponding Access reel, so that probably made the weight difference feel more pronounced. In any case, the only difference I can speak to is the weight difference, as I didn't cast anything back-to-back. I don't think the weight difference is an insignificant factor though.

Like I said, I liked the Access. It just felt heavier than my Hydros rig.