The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Orvis access 9' 5 weight custom

Recently I sent my orvis access 9' 5 weight tip flex to the orvis rod shop and asked that they turn me down a new reversed half wells grip, put on some heavy duty brass or gold hardware, and put a maple insert into the reel seat. The original access rod has a woven-graphite insert for the reel seat, and champagne hadware, which I didnt care for. The rod just came in the mail, was done in one week btw, amazing service. The new rod is stunning, and the beauty of the access blank is that its essentially the old helios 1 blank. I have quite an arsenal of rods from all the big boy manufacturers, and I must say this is quite a rod. For those Orvis customers that are interested I will post a pic of it on this thread hopefully by this evening.

For those of you looking for a new rod that will give you top notch performance w/ out breaking the bank the access is a great choice at $395. The tip flex has a nice soft tip and good stiff butt section, its a very nice smooth casting tool that handles dries, wets and streamers w/ equal measure, test cast one at your local fly shop and you just might be impressed at that price-point.

***SCROLL DOWN THE PICURE IS POSTED***
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 08-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM

jbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis access 9' 5 weight custom

Just bought one for my first fly rod at a local shop. They gave me 30% off when I bought a reel too. Didnt want to spend that much on a first rod but $275 was a steal after looking at them at the Orvis store.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a very nice upgrade to the standard Access rod, looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

Larry

Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The Access is a veryy good rod. Really under-rated I think. I'm anxious to see your photos !
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 AM

todvan is on a distinguished road

I love my Access 9' 5wt tip flex - Casts so sweet!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is my access 9' 5 weight with maple insert and brass hardware.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
Just bought one for my first fly rod at a local shop. They gave me 30% off when I bought a reel too. Didnt want to spend that much on a first rod but $275 was a steal after looking at them at the Orvis store.
Out of all the rods I own and ever have owned, the orvis access IMO is the best to learn on and is equally at home in the hands of an experienced caster. its extremely forgiving, but that doesnt mean lack of performance. Very smooth and accurate, I don't think you could have picked a better rod to learn with. It can handle big streamers, multi nymph rigs and yet can present a dry fly with the best of 'em, enjoy your new rod brotha.
mcnerney, baseman1 and mridenour like this.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 08-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

That is a FINE looking rod,,and IS a fine rod. Love my Access.
thenewlushlife likes this.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
the beauty of the access blank is that its essentially the old helios 1 blank.
The Access is a fine rod and that's a lovely custom job they did for you.

However, I'm pretty sure it's not the same blank as the Helios. The Hydros was supposedly the same blank as the Helios (and there was even some uncertainty about that), but with plainer hardware at a lower price point. Orvis discontinued the Hydros shortly after they brought out the Access at an even (slightly) lower price point, apparently because they were afraid the Hydros would rob sales from the new Access. At the time, people who tried casting the same model rod in both the Access and Hydros/Helios series said there was a noticeable difference in feel between the two blanks. (Some folks also noticed a subtler difference between Hydros and Helios, which others attributed to the effect of Helios's flexible Recoil guides rather than a difference in the blanks.)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is my access 9' 5 weight with maple insert and brass hardware.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

That upgraded Access really turned out sweet with the maple insert and brass hardware, they really look good together!
thenewlushlife likes this.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The Access is a fine rod and that's a lovely custom job they did for you.

However, I'm pretty sure it's not the same blank as the Helios. The Hydros was supposedly the same blank as the Helios (and there was even some uncertainty about that), but with plainer hardware at a lower price point. Orvis discontinued the Hydros shortly after they brought out the Access at an even (slightly) lower price point, apparently because they were afraid the Hydros would rob sales from the new Access. At the time, people who tried casting the same model rod in both the Access and Hydros/Helios series said there was a noticeable difference in feel between the two blanks. (Some folks also noticed a subtler difference between Hydros and Helios, which others attributed to the effect of Helios's flexible Recoil guides rather than a difference in the blanks.)
The talks over these orvis blanks certainly gets crazy. A gentleman at the orvis rod shop described to me about a year ago, when the helios 1 was still in production, that the taper in the access blank is exactly the same only the helios has a thinner and thus more lightweight scrim. And that the helios had better components. However the fishability of these two rods is almost identical due to the same taper. Anyway, that's how it was explained to me. The helios 2 however, is a completely different rod than the access.