The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM

scottiecoach is on a distinguished road
Default Sage SLT

Beings you great fly fishermen are so helpful, can you offer up a suggestion for the ultimate fly line to pair with my new 8'6" 5 wt SLT? Also, would you suggest a WF or DT?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage SLT

don't know why you started a second thread for this, but ok...

If you weren't aware, when Sage developed the SPL, SLT (and their successor, the TXL) series of fly rods, they co-developed the Sage Quiet Taper and Sage Performance Taper fly lines alongside them to optimize these rods' performance.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think sage is getting SA to make those lines for them. Its very possible they're SA's Mastery Trout and Expert Distance lines rebranded. I'd say their Trout line would be a great match for that rod. Airflo's ridge tactical trout or ridge distance could also be a good one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I've got the 2 pc version of the same rod and have used the SA Trout in WF and DT. Both worked very well, but the WF seemed just a wee bit better. Sweet rod, by the way!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

IMHO, every caster is different. If there's any way you can try different lines do it.
Also, I don't think the Expert Distance if for everyone.

Randyflycaster
Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

From a marketing perspective, the Expert Distance is poorly named, as the title runs lots of folks off. Its a long belly line with a long taper in the front and a very long taper in the back. This means that while its not the best for turning over bass bugs, it does roll casts and mends well because its less likely to have skinny running line at the rod tip.

I like it because its got alot of the advantages of a DT, but is less bulky and shoots better.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I have both the Sage Quiet Taper II in a 4 wt for my 3wt and a Rio Selective Trout II in 3 wt. Both are Double Taper but I got the 4wt for close in work. I find both very usable for the SLT but I think I prefer the Rio for now as it is usable from 8ft to about 40ft. The 4 wt will go from 8-60 ft. The SLT 3wt 7'6" is the nicest rod I've bought and used since I got my Winston BIIX. I just love the castability, FEEL and versatility of this rod. I use it for Bream and LMB for now but I can't wait to try in for trout.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I think sage is getting SA to make those lines for them. Its very possible they're SA's Mastery Trout and Expert Distance lines rebranded. I'd say their Trout line would be a great match for that rod. Airflo's ridge tactical trout or ridge distance could also be a good one.
Cliff,

SCi Angler might be making lines for Sage, I don't know. But if they are (and they make fly lines for others) they wouldn't be using their own tapers or coatings. They would be made to Sage specs. with their own proprietary tapers.

I agree, IMHO, for this rod I would go with the SA Trout line or a DT.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:15 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

the 586-4 is my go-to rod, I tried several lines, the Wulff TT gets it all done very well, especially roll casting and mending. I find the slightly heavier than spec lines will start to overload it over 30 feet or so.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 PM

mikesalmon is on a distinguished road

Just purchased a Sage SLT 790-2 piece.
I am now looking for a line for it.
I fish mostly for Salmon first and Trout second.
I was thinking about the SA GPX because of its general purpose but someone mentioned that it may be a bit heavy for the action of the rod.
I was also thinking of the SA Mastery Trout. However after reading the posts on this thread I am wondering if I should forget about SA line and go for the SAGE Performance Taper.
Your suggestions and advice are appreciated.

Thanks, Mike