The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default My first fly rod

Im having some confusion so maybe someone knows. I got this diawa rod and kmart reel from my pap and still use it. It always had 8wt line but I tried to do some research and found other posts at different discussion forums saying its a 7wt line. Anyways, I just wanted to know more about it and im also looking for someone that can give the reel a tuneup. The drag is rusty and theres alot of missing screws etc... if someone knows what they're doing with these, please let me know.

Thanks
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 and mridenour like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: My first fly rod

As I'm sure you already know, your Kmart reel looks like a copy of a Pflueger Medalist, probably the size of a 1494. There is a ton of maintenance info on the web for them. There is also at least one company making repair and replacement parts for Pfluegers. If you need measurements, let me know, I have a few old reels.
Also check out One-Pfoot. Lots of good info.
enolaeagle likes this.

Last edited by siege; 08-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't add much to what siege said.

As for reel repair, I usually refer Archuleta's Reel Works out of Grant's Pass, Oregon.

Dennis

Edit: I forgot about the rod. I do not know whether it is a 7 or an 8. What is important is that you should use whatever line weight rating that works for you.
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

8w line seems to work just fine. I did try that reel place awhile back... I sent a message through the website and didnt hear back. Maybe I should call.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
8w line seems to work just fine. I did try that reel place awhile back... I sent a message through the website and didnt hear back. Maybe I should call.
Todd, it's SUNDAY for Heaven's sake. Give it a day! Plug's are just about as bullet proof as you can get. Have several and I could strip them down/rebuild for five bucks. They ARE that simple inside. But 70'ish years of manufacturing got then that way. Including the fly line spool .... three-four moving parts?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM

I wasnt gonna call today... I know its Sunday

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you take that reel off the rod, you'll see that "JAPAN" is stamped on the bottom of the foot.
That reel has nothing to do with the Pflueger Medalist and an email or call to Pflueger/Shakespeare will accomplish nothing.
OnePfoot sells replacement screws for Medalists, but there's no guaranty that they will fit this reel as well.
You're going to have to rely on your own resources for this one.

To clean the reel, soak it in a weak vinegar solution then scrub it with a tooth brush
After it's dry, oil it with machine oil or commercial reel lube.

I may be able to tell you about the rod with a little more information.
Does it have a model number or any other marking ? 3 letters together ?
An HCH or HCF would convert to a 7wt
A GBG or GBF an 8wt
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 AM

Oops I meant to put the model # in the original post. Its a 1345.

I saw the same kmart reels on ebay for 20 bux... I thought of buying one for parts.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of those reels out there from that same Japanese manufacturer. You can tell they're the same 'cuz screws are always missing .
I have one myself from H-I

Good chance that your rod is a 7wt.
I'd try a 6wt line on it if I were you. The Cortland fiberglass 7wt that I was using yesterday cast great with a 6.
It's my new favorite rod (this week )

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM

My rod looks different than most ive seen from daiwa... did they sell blank kits? My pap used to make his own rods so I dont know if this was off the shelf or a blank kit.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...

Last edited by enolaeagle; 08-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.