The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:05 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: G Loomis "IMX" line of fly rods.

SS

I hardly expected you to remember the exact date you bought the rod but figured you might have some kind of record about it. Have to agree about 1992 being surprising.

The older Orvis you showed in "Rod Love" is one I also admired back then . The CFO 4 is my all time favorite reel but mine has been retired, replaced by a Nautilus FW5+.

Thanks again for your comments.

imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I finally took the time to get a picture of the logo.

Click the image to open in full size.
imxer and fysh like this.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The ol' 9' 4wt IMX is still my "go to rod" for stalking rising fish going on almost 20 yrs now. I've been considering refinishing her this Winter.
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-24-2013, 05:54 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I finally took the time to get a picture of the logo.

MB

You are probably aware this is a custom made on a genuine Loomis blank. Don't doubt you love it, a great blank. Keep and enjoy it, the rod will do just about everything the new far more expensive ones will, more than some of them. Luck!

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
MB

You are probably aware this is a custom made on a genuine Loomis blank. Don't doubt you love it, a great blank. Keep and enjoy it, the rod will do just about everything the new far more expensive ones will, more than some of them. Luck!

Paul

Nope, I thought it was a factory model.

I forgot to mention that it has a down locking reel seat instead of the more modern uplocking version.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

IMX featured translucent gray wraps with black tread tipping and inlays, elegantly understated. An up-locking, black anodized reel seat with resin impregnated wood spacer had its machined hood exposed rather than hidden beneath the cork work. Gary Loomis's script signature appears before the IMX data on the blank.

Though subsequent generations of Loomis rods; GLX, Crosscurrent GLX, Streamdance GLX HLS and now NRX have leapfrogged IMX in performance (though not necessarily in aesthetics), these 20+ year old rods may continue to out-perform many contemporary, premium rods produced today. And G.Loomis continues to produce (in limited volume) "Classic" GLX 2 piece rods because there are influential anglers who consider them the best fly rods ever made period.

Several years ago I shared a skiff with friend who is a "famous (he has published several books and hosts trips) fly fisherman" on a windy day in Andros. We were both fishing 9-weight rods on this day and I tried to make the point to him that my Crosscurrent GLX had advantages, particularly in lower taper power, over his venerable, original GLX. Switching rods, he allowed that there was some extra grunt low down but that was accompanied by some extra demands placed on the caster and that GLX was smoother and possessed less but more than enough power. Casting them side-by-side, I had to admit that, except at the proverbial and rare ten tenths of performance, Classic GLX was a smoother, more enjoyable rod to cast. I have to fish with him again and show him my NRX though.
imxer and glacierjohn like this.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 PM

svh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The ol' 9' 4wt IMX is still my "go to rod" for stalking rising fish going on almost 20 yrs now. I've been considering refinishing her this Winter.
Man. Sorry to exhume an old thread, but after 9 years of being away (working/living in a foreign country), I'm about to yet again step into a river with an old best friend tomorrow. I hadn't cast a fly rod in 9 years, but after being reunited with my old IMX 9-4...I stepped outside and threw the whole damn line (wulff triangle 4/5). I couldn't believe it. Some things learned are never forgotten.

I built this rod years ago...and tossed an ATH reel on it. I actually sat across a table from Ari as he assembled it in Delft, NL about 20 years ago.

This combo is "my preciousssss". I'm hoping to find another one of these blanks to build.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

First off....welcome to the forum. and welcome back home, hope your reunion tomorrow has many bends in that great ol' rod with a bunch of fish to the hand.

Older threads like this are always fun to bring back to life, especially since we've had a bit of discussion lately about Loomis.

BTW...I didn't get my 9' 4wt refinished this past Winter, maybe next Winter.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-17-2014, 04:22 AM

tristanzs is on a distinguished road

I have my father's custom rod that was built on an IMX blank it's a 2 piece 9' 4 weight. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to fish it this summer.
fyshstykr likes this.

Last edited by tristanzs; 05-17-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: wrong picture.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

"Tossing on" a reel personally assembled by the incomparable Ari't Hart...personally, I would snug that reel seat down carefully and tightly. What a great combo. New member, go to "Reel Love" and search Hart as a couple of Brits have posted their remarkable collections of his reels.