The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nice Quality Beginner Rod w/ Room to Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball View Post
Echo 3 from South Holston River Fly Shop.

I went with the Echo Edge / Lamson Konic combo in 9' 5wt
I like the Access, it's a good beginner rod, but I'd go with an Echo as well. South Holston can give you a great deal on a 3, but even the Carbon or Edge retail for just $169/239 (or something like that) and they are very good rods. I also like the med-fast-er/fast-ish/etc distinctions Echo gives one to suss out the action. You'd be great with a med-fastish.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Buy the Orvis, you won't be sorry.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

As someone else said very eloquently, a good relationship with one or two local fly shops is priceless. The rod is just the beginning - all the other stuff will confuse the hell out of you... and these forums will make it even more confusing until you know what to make of the advice you're getting.

Buy a rod from one dealer, a reel from another and you'll get your investment back over the months and years with advice on lines, leaders, flies, tuition, where to fish and so on.

I think Orvis is a great place to start - the warranty is second to none and the products are great quality - the Access is US made too. They also have pretty much everything you need (including expert advice) for a lifetime of fly fishing under one roof.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM

freak is on a distinguished road

I just started fly fishing 8-10 months ago...My first rod was an Orvis Clearwater 9'5wt and then bought a Access 9'8wt. The love the clearwater...the reel sucks, but the rod as been perfect for me. Im even planning on getting the 7'4wt Clearwater for a couple small brookie streams.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM

beau moore is on a distinguished road

Freak,

I assume you bought the Orvis Clearwater 5wt combo? I was thinking of this myself... What did you not like about the reel?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 AM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
I just started fly fishing 8-10 months ago...My first rod was an Orvis Clearwater 9'5wt and then bought a Access 9'8wt. The love the clearwater...the reel sucks, but the rod as been perfect for me. Im even planning on getting the 7'4wt Clearwater for a couple small brookie streams.
Freak,

Did you purchase the 8wt because you wanted a larger rod or did the 5wt not perform for you?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfordjo View Post
Freak,

Did you purchase the 8wt because you wanted a larger rod or did the 5wt not perform for you?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Jonathan,

Don't go thinking Freak sold his 5wt to get an 8wt to do the same job (at least I assume he didn't). I'm sure Freak will reply, but these are two completely different rods for different purposes. You'll be fine with either an 8'6" or 9'0" 5wt - they are the 'Swiss Army knife's' of fly rods... able to meet all your initial needs.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've read thru this post twice, and maybe I just missed it, but did anyone ask you what you hope to catch in your river - trout, largemouth, snallmouth, carp, steelhead, salmon? How do you like to fish, drys, nymphs, soft hackles? All of the above, none of the above? If nothing else, it would be helpful to know in what state of the union you plan to fish. Until one knows something about how you plan to fish, it's a bit meaningless to throw out brand names and model numbers.

It sort of like deciding to buy a vehicle, no matter how nice a sports car is, it's not terribly useful is you are in the gardening business hauling loads of mulch. You definitely can buy a very nice rod for $300, you just want to make sure it's suitable for the job at hand.
jaybo41 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I've read thru this post twice, and maybe I just missed it..... How do you like to fish, drys, nymphs, soft hackles?
This will just confuse the poor chap. OP's a beginner, so presumably doesn't yet know how he likes to fish... (that's what you seem to have missed pszy22).

As for where you fish OP - again, I'm assuming, as a beginner, that you've yet to find your favourite spots. Until then - to cover all the options - an 8'6"-9'0" 5wt is probably the place to start.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
This will just confuse the poor chap. OP's a beginner, so presumably doesn't yet know how he likes to fish... (that's what you seem to have missed pszy22).
Maybe so, he's about to shell out close to $500 ($300 for a rod, $125 for a reel, $60 for a line, leaders, tippets, flies,etc). That may not seem like alot of money to most. As a beginner, he may not know the answer but it might be helpful to him if he knew some of the questions he might want to ask before he makes a decision.

I would hope if he were to walk into a fly shop, they would talk to him a bit about where he might plan to start off fishing, rather than just say here's the $300 rod rack, pick one. But that may just be me.
jaybo41 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo