The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nice Quality Beginner Rod w/ Room to Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfordjo View Post
Thanks for all the comments / suggestions.

A small update:

I have visited St Peters in Fort Collins.

I have begun looking at used (thinking my dollars would go farther) but am extremely frightened by no warranty.

I will let the forum know of my decision once it is made.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Buy new unless the used rod is a steal. A good warranty is worth the extra dollars spent on a new rod.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Unless the fish are 70+ feet away and you can't cast to that distance because you spend your time "avoiding distance because it's pointless".

Nearly every person I've heard say to work on accuracy >> distance can't cast long distances. What they totally miss is that the skill required to cast long distances and into the wind naturally develops good accuracy at short distances as a by-product. Show me one distance champion with poor accuracy at 30-50'.

If the fish are far out, or (more importantly) you need to cast into the wind with large fly patterns (very common in SW and on big rivers like the Potomac here) -- distance is important. Learn it -- I am. I've found that my accuracy has become much better as I've stretched my distance out there.
Maybe things are different in other environments and situations, but for me, fishing for trout in rivers here in Michigan, what counts is the ability to present one's fly in a convincing manner. Again personally speaking, I can't control my fly when it's too far away. I don't have any trouble making a 70' cast, I do have trouble getting a fish to take my fly that far away. I have much better luck fishing my side of the river, and keeping my fly under control.

Of course, that's the nice thing about fishing. Different stroke for different folks. To the OP, try different stuff, figure out what works for you.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

turbineblade
what exactly are you fishing for on the potomac. I ask because I never have fished it. Smallies? LMB? Are those fish particular 'picky' about presentation in comparison to trout?

Not trying to be smart. I just haven't made the journey to the potomac but might as I expand out from the valley rivers, streams and spring creeks.

Thanks,
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
turbineblade
what exactly are you fishing for on the potomac. I ask because I never have fished it. Smallies? LMB? Are those fish particular 'picky' about presentation in comparison to trout?
One of the neat things about the tidal Potomac is you could potentially see or catch damn near anything, even species you cannot identify. Last year I caught a large Nile Tilapia in one of the feeder streams in a highly urban area.

There are also Snakehead, but I've only landed one -- had hits from others though. A few people have reported redfish in deeper sections, American eels are around, and honestly nothing would surprise me.

What are the typical species I'll target and/or that I'm likely to catch on any given day?

Bluegill
Pumpkinseed
Redbreast sunfish
LMB
Blue catfish
Carp
Longnose gar
Striped bass
Yellow perch

It's a pretty neat fishery, if you can stand the urban setting.

Quote:
Maybe things are different in other environments and situations, but for me, fishing for trout in rivers here in Michigan, what counts is the ability to present one's fly in a convincing manner.
Absolutely -- no argument there. The same applies on the trout streams near here (about 1 hour west puts you into some great mountain streams and spring creeks).

Fish here are usually holding on structure very temporarily, and often not at all. Many move in with the tide to feed, and then move out. I mostly fish tidal flats with sand/silt bottoms, where the tide will put the depth between literally 10" in spots, and 4-5' at low tide.....then at high tide the low spots might be 3' and the deep spots around 8-9'. Wind is often a factor, but not always. Water is often clear and it is VERY easy to spook the fish if you wade too closely.

What I do is:

1. Wade to within about 50-60' of spotted or suspected fish, or structure (kayak can get a little closer). Any closer and they usually spook and you might as well just move on.
2. Use a 9-10' leader on calm days, 7-8' on windy days.
3. Flies are often weighted for floating line, less so for my sink tip/int. lines
4. Double hauling and casting to 60-70' is my normal casting distance...but this varies a lot day to day.
5. Dead drifting is basically non-existent -- current is limited to tidal movement and wind....not like a trout stream at all.
6. Mending isn't used, at least not in the general sense.

Actually, for my areas I'd say fly pattern is the least important thing, and the ability to cast long leaders and heavy flies into the wind and for long distances is the single most applicable skill. In a lot of places you can't possibly sneak up on the fish any closer for shorter casts -- you're literally limited by how far you can stay back and still get a fly to your spots. And I don't always do this successfully . That's why it is do addictive. You can never master this.

I've fished a lot of different species now in a pretty short period of time -- I am of the belief that the real Gods of fly fishing are the crazy Saltwater guys -- there is nothing more challenging than throwing a long line into insane winds to redfish/bones/stripers in shallow, clear waters. It's masochistic! Those guys can absolutely smoke me and my pathetic skills.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 PM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road

I just had loads of fun at St Peters Fly Shop in Fort Collins.

They had me cast 3 rods - Sage VXP, Sage One and Scott A4.

I bet every one can tell me which one I liked the best (and seemed to throw the best) - the Sage One.

I also signed up for a 2 day clinic in a few weeks.

The journey continues.

Jonathan
Old 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau moore View Post
Freak,

I assume you bought the Orvis Clearwater 5wt combo? I was thinking of this myself... What did you not like about the reel?
Yes, bought the combo. The reel does the job, but it just overall cheaper quality. It take a little more maintenance then I would care for. I find myself having to clean it every 3rd time out. I tend to fish smaller stream with it and it gets "gritty" when reeling it.

Quote:
Freak,

Did you purchase the 8wt because you wanted a larger rod or did the 5wt not perform for you?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Like othesr have said, I just added the 8wt to fish bigger waters. I really prefer the 5wt, but it won't handle largemouth bass.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough
Default Great St. Croixs out there....

I'm new to fly fishing and have had great results casting a older 9' 5wt. St. Croix Reign. My friend has the Premier model and finds it to perform really well for trout. However I believe a St. Croix Legend might be a great step up and you can find them on ebay for around $200 and less. A medium action rod is a great help in shaping my cast and it might help you too.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just had loads of fun at St Peters Fly Shop in Fort Collins.

They had me cast 3 rods - Sage VXP, Sage One and Scott A4.

I bet every one can tell me which one I liked the best (and seemed to throw the best) - the Sage One.

I also signed up for a 2 day clinic in a few weeks.

The journey continues.

Jonathan
Have fun with it!

Dennis
Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I see you test casted the vxp and one rods along with some others. Good for you getting the rods in your hands, a lot of beginners come onto the forum and ask people to essentially make a rod decision for them and then most experienced anglers respond by saying "get some rods in your hands its the only way to know what works for you".

You mentioned in the beginning that you didn't want to spend over $300. With that said I noticed you casted best with the sage one. One thing you should know is beginners typically find it easier to throw super fast action rods with high line speed, and find it more difficult to cast a slower rod with a more parabolic action to the blank. I believe for beginners the rod that is a bit slower will lead to the new fly angler becoming a more skilled caster given that slower rods tend to be less forgiving than very fast rods such as the sage one. If I were you I would heavily consider that VXP, I chose to purchase a vxp over the ONE rod, I believe its a better rod, one that is better suited for the "all-rounder" catagory. The vxp is certainly less forgiving than the one rod, but ultimately once you get dialed in with the vxp you just might be so amazed. After owning and fishing countless 9' 5 weights over the years, I have found the vxp to be an unparalleled piece of graphite and one of the best sage has ever produced. Just because it wears a pricetag $300 less than the ONE doesn't mean the ONE is a better rod, they are two very different rods. However, if the ONE just "does it" for you, get that rod! At the end of the day the rod needs to have that spark in your hand, thats the most important thing. I just like to remind people that the most expensive is not always the best.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:04 AM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road

Updated my original post - but it is the result also.

I ended up buying a Sage VT2 - found a new one on clearance so I have the warranty also - matching it up with a Lamson Velocity I also found on clearance.

Now I need to hit the water - thanks for all the help!

Jonathan
mridenour likes this.