The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM

alfordjo is on a distinguished road
Default ****Updated****Nice Quality Beginner Rod w/ Room to Grow

I am looking for a nice quality rod for a beginner (me) that will provide for plenty of room to grow. I would like to keep the rod under 300, but would be willing to pay a little more if the rod will last me for quite a while. I plan on fishing smaller rivers (my buddy fishes a 9' 5wt.)

Probably will fish 10-20 days per year.

I am not opposed to buying used, but it seems buying new from some of the more well known companies helps tremendously to my piece of mind with warranties.

Any recommendations / help would be appreciated.

***Decided on a Sage VT2 - found a new one so it has a warranty - just got it yesterday. Got a discontinued Lamson Velocity to match it with.***

Thanks,

Jonathan

Last edited by alfordjo; 10-11-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Updated title
Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nice Quality Beginner Rod w/ Room to Grow

Join theclymb.com. It's free.

Then get one of these:

http://www.theclymb.com/all/brand-ev...ct/493745?f=mi

Spend the rest of your money on reels, lines, etc.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

+1 for Plecain's post. IMO you won't find a better deal right now...but you must like the softer feel of the CT (or the new Tempt rod) for it to work for you. If you have a chance to cast and compare with some faster sticks you should do that.

The CT's were approx $165 originally, AND were a good value at full retail, so at 70 bucks they're tough to beat...if you are a soft stick guy. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
+1 for Plecain's post. IMO you won't find a better deal right now...but you must like the softer feel of the CT (or the new Tempt rod) for it to work for you. If you have a chance to cast and compare with some faster sticks you should do that.

The CT's were approx $165 originally, AND were a good value at full retail, so at 70 bucks they're tough to beat...if you are a soft stick guy. Good luck.
Good point about the faster rod.

theclymb.com also has the Redington CPX, which is a very fast rod. It's around $160 on sale.

For your $300, you could buy one of each.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

As a company I am a Allen Fly Fishing fanboy. However, the only other rods I like just as well are the Redington CT's they are soft compared to a lot of other rods, but I like them as they work well for me for both nymphs and dries.

I'm not familliar with the other Redington rod that was mentioned, but buying both the slower and a fast rod would be beneficial. The faster rod would be good for swinging streamers. Matter of fact if were me I'd get a 4wt CT and a second Medium Fast Rod.

Now you mentioned $300 is that your total budget or is that just for the rod.

If it is your total budget I'd personally recommend the Reddington CT, Allen ATS Reel, Rio Gold wf line with that you would still have some left over for tippit material, flies.

One great option for try out different rods is to join a fly fishing club. Often they have casting practice, before meetings and most guys will allow you to cast their rod. You will likely be given free casting lessons too. To top it all off they likely also offer free or cheap classes on everything to do with fly fishing from beginner to advanced.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendation is go to a fly shop, tell them what you're looking for out of your fly rod and see what they can recommend. I'm an advocate of doing this not solely for establishing a good relationship with your shop and patronizing their business. All of us can make recommendations based on our preferences and experiences with rods but the rod needs to work and feel right in YOUR hands. A respectable shop will listen to what you are looking for, find options in your budget and let you test cast them. There are a ton of benefits that a legit fly shop can provide you that I won't get into here but that's my recommendation and I'm sticking with it.

This is worth a read if you are considering buying pre loved tackle.

Tips For Buying Used Rods;

After you have narrowed it down to a few different models, come back and ask for opinions and experiences from others on them to help you hone in on your decision. Welcome to the forum.
pszy22, dean_mt and petee like this.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
My recommendation is go to a fly shop, tell them what you're looking for out of your fly rod and see what they can recommend. I'm an advocate of doing this not solely for establishing a good relationship with your shop and patronizing their business. All of us can make recommendations based on our preferences and experiences with rods but the rod needs to work and feel right in YOUR hands. A respectable shop will listen to what you are looking for, find options in your budget and let you test cast them. There are a ton of benefits that a legit fly shop can provide you that I won't get into here but that's my recommendation and I'm sticking with it.

This is worth a read if you are considering buying pre loved tackle.

Tips For Buying Used Rods;

After you have narrowed it down to a few different models, come back and ask for opinions and experiences from others on them to help you hone in on your decision. Welcome to the forum.
To expand on this, get some good instruction before you buy a rod. Testing the rods in the shop is a lot more useful if you have already corrected some casting problems. Just saying what I should have done!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM

thanks for the responses so far - $300 just for the rod to answer a question above.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM

cannonball is on a distinguished road

Echo 3 from South Holston River Fly Shop.

I went with the Echo Edge / Lamson Konic combo in 9' 5wt
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Ok - I went by a shop earlier today - Orvis. the guy there watched my cast and said the Access with Mid flex fits my motion.

Does that change anyone's opinion?