The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winston 7'6" - BIIt or WT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I cannot comment on the specific rods you're considering, but do have a 380 WT. It is buttery smooth and really likes a slow relaxed stroke compared to some of my other rods. It's lined with Airflo Tactical DT, real nice match with that rod by my taste.

I did mess around with a BIIt in a fly shop along side the WT. The Boron in the rod made it feel more crisp, especially in the butt and ever so slightly in the tip. Whereas the WT was just plain smooth.

What are their thoughts between the BIIt or WT in 7'6?
I was able to try every short three weight at the Winston shop in Twinn Bridges. For me it came down to the 7'-6" WT. it was the most fun to cast, and the most accurate.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:56 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
What are their [Winston Forum] thoughts between the BIIt or WT in 7'6?
WT if there is plenty of room for your casting, or the BIIt if the riverside vegetation means you need to get more creative.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

B2T rods are now selling for 453.00 to 529.00 just picked one up great deal
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
For me it came down to the 7'-6" WT. it was the most fun to cast, and the most accurate.
That the WT is more accurate was another thing that some have said on the Winston Forum.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:17 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
That the WT is more accurate was another thing that some have said on the Winston Forum.
It was a surprise how easy it was to hit a six inch window at thirty feet with the WT. I didn't go into the test with any expectations, it just became obvious to me that I was able to hit certain spots consistently much better than with the other rods. Glad to hear others had the same experience.

Last edited by glacierjohn; 08-19-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM

Found this review of WT v. BIIt 4wt's yesterday on the Winston Forum:

The Winston Forum - View topic - 7 1/2 foot # 4 Winston BIIt versus 7 1/2 foot # 4 WT

One of the best reviews I've read... for any fly rod(s). It confirms my impressions of the bigger WT's and BIIt's.

I think, after struggling in the wind with a 3wt GVX yesterday, it sells me on going a line weight heavier and the 4wt BIIt.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 AM

dutchy1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
Found this review of WT v. BIIt 4wt's yesterday on the Winston Forum:

The Winston Forum - View topic - 7 1/2 foot # 4 Winston BIIt versus 7 1/2 foot # 4 WT

One of the best reviews I've read... for any fly rod(s). It confirms my impressions of the bigger WT's and BIIt's.

I think, after struggling in the wind with a 3wt GVX yesterday, it sells me on going a line weight heavier and the 4wt BIIt.
Best reviews??? He didn't even fish the IIt yet.. Maybe if you buy rods and try them on your lawn for ten minutes and sell them on because you think you know the rods by having a quick flick in the garden.. In depth about the static (off the water) tests yes other then that it doesn't say much. Certainly not because the strong points in either these two rods is on the water.

J

P.S.

Excuse me, my american friends, i thought this was the uk board..

Last edited by dutchy1978; 08-24-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1978 View Post
Maybe if you buy rods and try them on your lawn for ten minutes and sell them on because you think you know the rods by having a quick flick in the garden

P.S.

Excuse me, my american friends, i thought this was the uk board..
Jerry - you've caught the English disease of dishing out insults and sneering at people who don't have the same opportunity to evaluate rods like you do. You never seem to miss an opportunity to express your superior knowledge, but without actually contributing to the subject of the thread. Can't find a single mention of testing rods on the water in any of your 'reviews' on the UK Forum, by the way.

Anyway, not bad for your first post here... not sure you'll make any 'American friends' if you keep this up.

If you have any constructive comments let's hear them, otherwise feel free to move on...

FWIW. I have the 8'6" and 8'0" 4wt BIIt's (and know how they perform on the lawn and with a fish on the end)... I hope that meets with your approval!!!

Last edited by sageandonion; 08-24-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Dutchy, you're absolutely right, there's no substitute for the on-water test.

However, the author of that post comparing the WT to the BIIT is a guy named Bo Cash who owns a shop in NC and has been fly-fishing for over 50 years. He owns and has fished just about every Winston rod going back to the pre-IM6 Winstons. In other posts on that forum, Bo has discussed his experiences fishing the BIITs vs the WTs. He's a great guy and a great source of info.

Sage, good luck with the choice!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Bo Cash who owns a shop in NC and has been fly-fishing for over 50 years.

Sage, good luck with the choice!
Thanks cletus - one of the reasons I joined this forum was for expert and non-judgmental advice from your side of the pond.