The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Winston 7'6" - BIIt or WT?

Hello Chaps & Ladies,

I'm looking for either a Winston BIIt 7'6" 3wt or the same in a WT and can't decide between the two.

The streams / small rivers I fish are not very overgrown, so I can always find a spot for a back cast, but it's often windy - like force 2-4 - so that's a possible consideration, although I also have two BIIt's 8'6" and 8'0" 4wts, which I can use when it's windy.

I currently use a GVX 7'6" 3wt over-lined with a WF 4wt line. I like that it's a little easier to load, and slow and bendy, with the heavier line.

I can't resist an 'upgrade' from the GVX*, so which of the two rods would you choose and why?

Thanks!

* I know the upgrade thing is totally unnecessary, but any excuse for a new rod!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Winston 7'6" - BIIt or WT?

Don't worry about the wind. Use your other rods when that's an issue. Go with the WT.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

WT is the nicer rod. I've fished both and feel of the WT is just exquisite. The BIIt is OK, but to me it felt clunky, like the tip and the butt didn't really go together.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

You may want to wait for the new B3-LS, its supposed to replace the BIIT.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I grew up fishing Winston IM6 graphite and love it. I now have a 7'6 3wt GVX and have no desire to change. Granted I have many 3 wieghts to choose from so I have no position to judge.....
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
You may want to wait for the new B3-LS, its supposed to replace the BIIT.
Thanks, but I have no desire to buy and live with a rod with that reel seat on it! Plenty of shared disgust/dismay over at the Winston Forum - I don't know what Winston is thinking. End of rant!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
Thanks, but I have no desire to buy and live with a rod with that reel seat on it! Plenty of shared disgust/dismay over at the Winston Forum - I don't know what Winston is thinking. End of rant!
I hear ya, I really don't know why they are doing it, it is butt ugly. I'm sure your still going to pay a premium for it.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

This is a question you didn't ask, but, given you already have those two 4 wts, why not get something that's not so close to those, like a 2 wt or 1 wt?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
This is a question you didn't ask, but, given you already have those two 4 wts, why not get something that's not so close to those, like a 2 wt or 1 wt?
Thanks, but I think 3wt is a big difference to 4wt. (I even think my BIIt 8'6" 4wt is very different to the same in 8'0".) Also, the lighter weights are virtually useless to me in any wind at all. As a not-too-brilliant caster, I've found that 4wt (or an over-lined 3wt) is my technical sweet spot - can handle some wind - and is perfectly light enough for easily spooked Welsh mountain brownies.

There's a good interview that can be Googled, with Tom Morgan on the subject of rods and lines. I'm with him all the way.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot comment on the specific rods you're considering, but do have a 380 WT. It is buttery smooth and really likes a slow relaxed stroke compared to some of my other rods. It's lined with Airflo Tactical DT, real nice match with that rod by my taste.

I did mess around with a BIIt in a fly shop along side the WT. The Boron in the rod made it feel more crisp, especially in the butt and ever so slightly in the tip. Whereas the WT was just plain smooth.

All that said, I know exactly what you mean about two rods being very close within a same rod series yet so different. I own a BIIX 486 and a bud owned the 480. They were VERY different considering the most obvious difference was 6" in length.

As for that reel seat on the B3-LS...wow That goes against everything I'd expect from Winston in a series of rods of this caliber. This looks like a better fit on one of their imported rods to me. I've long admired the hardware Winston puts on their rods, that nickel silver is beautiful. I can certainly understand the uproar on the Winston forum.

What are their thoughts between the BIIt or WT in 7'6?