The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winston WT or Orvis Superfine Touch 7 1/2 ft 4wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
well went totally different direction found a Winston B2T on sale for 529.00 guess they are going on sale since they are being replaced 7 1/2 ft 4wt will go nicely with my Winston wt 6 1/2 ft 3wt good to go now thanks for all the imput
If it's not too soon, please let me know how you're getting on with the BIIt reese (PM if that's easier). I'm still undecided on a 7'6" WT or BIIt and even between 3 and 4wt.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Yard cast the B2T it feels really good bit more power than the WT. I could live with the B2T and not wish I had gotten the WT. B2T price is great right now
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever it is worth to you sageandonion, the owner/manager of the shop that I frequent is a Winston die hard. I was asking about the differences between the B2T line and the WT line. His comments were that they were very similar rods in taper and action but obviously the Boron in the B2 lightened it up and added some reserve power in the butt. They're close, very close by my limited experience messing with them at the shop.

Prices being what they are, the B2T is a solid buy, just like r reese has mentioned. I'm a sucker for a closeout. On the other hand, the 380 WT I have is butter smooth and so fun to cast.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I don't have the winston but I have the 8.5ft 3wt. The latter is soft and full. I've been fishing my 'deep action' cf burkheimer which is also considered a full flex soft rod.

I switched over to the superfine one day and I was MISSING strikes and sets all day. The super soft (IMO) superfine is so soft that my normal action mechanics to set a hook was not enough because the rod would absorb the energy and essentially bend so much. Also when stripping in small size10 streamers I'd miss strings because the rod tip bends every time you strip.

I now consider that superfine strictly a dry fly brookie rod for tiny flies.
I'm going to get a new 4wt 9ft soon and I was thinking superfine...but now I'm not.

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I have to respectfully disagree with Shotgunfly, I should start by saying I have no problems setting the hook w/ my 8' 4 weight superfine, this is one stellar dry fly rod, if you know what your doing you'll have no problems setting the hook.

I have both the WT and superfine, not long ago a fishing buddy and I did a comparison between his 8' 4 weight biit and my touch 8' 4 weight as well. Now its no secret that the winstons have a bit more butt strength than the superfine, and for most people, that added butt power makes them much easier to cast. The slower parabolic action of the superfine (much like bamboo) takes some very good technique to cast and fish properly. All of these rods are superb, but if you want a real challenge, and a rod that will increase your casting and fishing skills exponentially go for the touch rod, there's nothing like it.
mysticm and fly_guy12955 like this.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 08-26-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Ok, I'm not trying to bash on shotgunfly: if a rod doesn't work for you it doesn't work. Period.

But just to provide a counter example for the simple sake of information exchange, I have tossed a size 8 Sculpzilla with my 8' 4wt Superfine Touch. After she sucked that fur-ball in, I fought a 2 foot trout for several minutes before she took that streamer away from me. I touched her twice with my net before she broke the tippet (5x) so I can only blame myself for that miss.

That same day I landed several 17"-20" trout on a variety of small/medium streamers and the SFT performed very well. I know I'm risking the tip or "bruising" the surface on one bad casting stroke, and it's not my first choice for chucking those streamers, but it can get the job done under the right conditions (read: I'm was having too much fun to walk back to the car and get different rod) .
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I hesitated before replying, because I only have experience with a different length WT. However, with that being said, most folks use WTs as dry fly rods and mine (a 9' 4wt WT) might be the least respected 4wt of the bunch.

I love it.