The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Winston WT or Orvis Superfine Touch 7 1/2 ft 4wt

Give me your thoughts Winston WT or Orvis Superfine Touch 7 1/2 ft 4wt. Both nice rods I know, cant make up my mind. I like slow rods.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

what about overlining A GVX Select 7 1/2 3wt need some imput
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM

medic77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winston WT or Orvis Superfine Touch 7 1/2 ft 4wt

I have casted both when I was in my search for my slow rods and I now own an 8' 4wt and 9' 6wt superfine touch. They just seemed like the rod for me and seemed to flex that perfect speed. Price was right too. Winston was nice but nothing screamed buy me. Don't know why.
All thing aside and money no option? Sage Circa was stellar but for 300 bucks more? I don't think so. The Superfine was awfully pretty and honestly costumer service put me over the top. Great Orvis salesman that spent an enormous amount of time with me perfecting my cast in an alley in the middle of downtown Chicago. Which by the way was cool as hell casting in between skyscrapers.
von behr likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you saw my thread, but I over-line a 3wt 7'6" GVX and it's bendy heaven. Doesn't stop me asking about a similar WT and BIIt, but then you can't have too many rods.

In answer to your question (sort of) I'd go for a 3wt in that length; I tried the exact WT you're asking about last week and found it too unforgiving and lacked feel. Others will disagree because the WT 4wt is revered, but I still think, if you want soft and slow, that a 3wt over-lined would be a nicer rod at close quarters.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM

wasagawader is on a distinguished road

Not experienced enough to offer opinions on rods but I saw this posted and it might make the Orvis the rod of choice

FREE CFO Fly Reel with the purchase of ANY Orvis Superfine Fly Rod
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

You like slow rods and you cannot lie,
We other brothers can't deny...

LOL
von behr and fireroad like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

already have a WT 3 wt but want a 4 wt no longer than 7 1/2 ft I fish small brush choked waters

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

thanks for the info
Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
already have a WT 3 wt but want a 4 wt no longer than 7 1/2 ft I fish small brush choked waters

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

thanks for the info
Wanna sell me the 3wt?

Good point above about the free CFO with the Superfine's - I forgot that. I'd still buy a green stick though.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Can't speak to the Winston personally, although the folks I know that have them love them, but I have a 4wt, 8' Orvis SFT and it's my favorite rod. I fish from tiny to medium sized streams with it and it's been great. I finally stowed my previous favorite (7'9" 3wt) because I just wasn't using it and I prefer the way the SFT feels.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 PM

well went totally different direction found a Winston B2T on sale for 529.00 guess they are going on sale since they are being replaced 7 1/2 ft 4wt will go nicely with my Winston wt 6 1/2 ft 3wt good to go now thanks for all the imput
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
well went totally different direction found a Winston B2T on sale for 529.00 guess they are going on sale since they are being replaced 7 1/2 ft 4wt will go nicely with my Winston wt 6 1/2 ft 3wt good to go now thanks for all the imput
That's a good price for that rod, especially considering that hardware that's on that one versus the new BIII-LS series. I'm not sure I get the change to that reel seat but what do I know.