The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scott G Series fly rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I was playing with it last night checking the bend and such. I think you are right about wind, the line is thin. The guy put Hardy 2WT-DT-F line on it. Was wondering if anyone knows about this line or could suggest a better line for this rod.

Craig
See if you can fine one of the older SAGE Quiet Double Taper lines, I got mine from a seller on the large auction site that was liquidating their inventory. This line matches my G2 4wt very well and I cannot see why it would not work with your rod [in a DT 2 of course ]
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Planettrout, thanks for the link. Didn't find my 882 2pc in the list but the read was good.

Craig
Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
Planettrout, thanks for the link. Didn't find my 882 2pc in the list but the read was good.

Craig
I called Ian at Scott and ask for his recommendation. For my 9' four weight G series, he recommended the SA Mastery Trout, not the textured trout. I couldn't find that at my local fly shop and ended up with a Rio Gold trout WF 4 Wt. It works great as did the old SA GPX WF 4 wt., I like the Rio better though.

John
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Scott g series are some of the best rods ever made, very smooth casting. It will become one of your favorites.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
Scott g series are some of the best rods ever made, very smooth casting. It will become one of your favorites.
they agree....
The Dozen Best Fly Rods of All Time
Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I think a wulff triangle taper 2 wt line would match well with that rod, also the sci-angler VPT line, also a triangle taper. The rio trout LT in WF or DT would work nice. And, the orvis superfine line in 2 wt, this line is insanely underrated, easily my favorite light line. Its a well spread WF taper--> 8.5 front taper, 17 foot belly and 10 foot rear taper, the front and back tapers combined are longer than the belly, very uncommon for a WF taper but simply perfection. IMO this line provides the best presentation for small rods, its an off white willow color nice n subtle, I use it on all my winstons and touch rods. And wouldnt use anything else.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the line suggestions I need some help there. Not use to soft rods so thanks for bringing these lines to my attention.

Craig
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I agreed with a small number of Tom Chandlers choices for "Best Rod Ever". I fundamentally disagree with his premises. But not with the inclusion of Scott's "G(2)" and Heliply series. The 8'/#4 G is, in my opinion, superior to the Winston TMF (that is more famous) and the 8 1/2'/#5 G is right in there with Orvis's incredible mid 80's, 8' 9"/#5 Western (no doubt influenced by Harry Wilson's Scott). 8' 8"/#8 Heliply (G's saltwater sibling) remains one of the great in-close bonefish stalkers rods and Scott will still produce Heliply in small batches today for its aficionados.

I have little experience with 2-weight rods as I fish nothing lighter than #4 but I'll bet the G is a good one. Even the updated contemporary G2's owe their taper design to the great Harry Wilson, one of the great and surely seminal graphite rod designers.

That Chandler grudgingly includes, against his personal instinct, G.Loomis's IMX 9'/#4, is a testimony to how finite his perspective is. Check out the current IMX thread in this Forum.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

I use the rio trout lt line with my G2. I use the WF but a DT would work as well
Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
I use the rio trout lt line with my G2. I use the WF but a DT would work as well
I've said it on other threads, my favorite rod and main "go-to" rod for fishing up here in Montana is my Scott G series 9' four weight. I love the way it cast, roll cast, mends line, protects light tippet and plays fish. Every other rod I own or try is measured against that rod.

John