The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Echo-3 six weight

I posted a while ago about wanting a six weight streamer rod to fill out my quiver, well I found a really good deal on a used one. I went on one of my two annual trips to fish the Big Hole River a couple weeks ago and discussed my need with Lance at Troutfitters. He said he had just what I needed and pulled out a 10' six weight Echo-3 with a nice Bauer reel on it. I practiced with it a bit and bought it on the spot.

I know it's not a top end Sage or Orvis, but considering streamer or heavy nymph fishing is about 10% of my actual fishing, it didn't make a lot of sense to invest in that costly a rod and this Echo really cast nice. My overall impression of it is; kind of front heavy compared to the lighter nine foot rods I'm used to, not the most attractive shade of green but ok, nice reel seat and fighting butt, overall very good quality.

It cast wonderfully from short to far and really good in the wind, It's quite windy today so I got to test that. I'm looking forward to fishing it during the salmon fly hatch next Spring. I think it could wear out my arm by the end of a long float though.

Anybody else have experience with these rods?

John
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Echo-3 six weight

Yep. Like it a lot. Don't fish streamers much, but have used it for some light steelheading. Mostly use it for dry flies on bigger rivers. I can cast it all day floating the Blackfoot/Clark Fork/Missouri.

Really nice rod.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
Yep. Like it a lot. Don't fish streamers much, but have used it for some light steelheading. Mostly use it for dry flies on bigger rivers. I can cast it all day floating the Blackfoot/Clark Fork/Missouri.

Really nice rod.
You must live near me; Missoula?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Have an Echo3 9' #6. It is an excellent streamer and nymph rod. Handles Hopper/Dropper rigs with ease. Is it as nice as a Sage One or other premium models? Probably not, but still a great value and a very good performer. I would highly recommend these.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too have the ECHO3 9'/#6. Though heavier, it is far superior in performance characteristics to the BVK #6 it replaced. I like it out of the drift boat when larger dry flies like stoneflies or hoppers are happening. I fish an Airflo Ridge Tactical Trout line with it and a reel heavy enough to balance it properly. Yes, this Korean-built rod costs less than some made-in-America premium brands and fishes better than some of them too.