The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...


Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
yonder's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caldwell County, N.C.
Posts: 927
yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need a new rod

Me too...................
__________________
yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
I have a Redington CT 4wt 8'6" for sale. 75$ to your door if you're interested?
I was hoping for one a little smaller, like 7.6 :-(
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 PM
shotgunfly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisonburg Virginee
Posts: 504
shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Need a new rod

Sounds like the St.Croix Imperial would be perfect for you. I fish a 4 wt. 7.6 foot Imperial rod and love it. Lots of power and very delicate and accurate.


======
I have this rod and it's called/rated fast but I wouldn't consider as fast and stiff as the Orvis helios 7ft 4wt I owned.

I wonder, are you going to be fishing up in some really choked streams?

I use my St. Croix for fishing up in the SNP which is rare, mostly hitting spring creeks in the Shenandoah Valley and a 9' 5wt or 9' 4wt does just fine.
__________________
"...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Sounds like the St.Croix Imperial would be perfect for you. I fish a 4 wt. 7.6 foot Imperial rod and love it. Lots of power and very delicate and accurate.


======
I have this rod and it's called/rated fast but I wouldn't consider as fast and stiff as the Orvis helios 7ft 4wt I owned.

I wonder, are you going to be fishing up in some really choked streams?

I use my St. Croix for fishing up in the SNP which is rare, mostly hitting spring creeks in the Shenandoah Valley and a 9' 5wt or 9' 4wt does just fine.
they are small limestone/spring creeks such as yellow breeches, big spring, falling springs, codorus creek, in south central pa. they are 30 ft across at most, and wading is mostly required.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 PM
shotgunfly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisonburg Virginee
Posts: 504
shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtroutfishr View Post
they are small limestone/spring creeks such as yellow breeches, big spring, falling springs, codorus creek, in south central pa. they are 30 ft across at most, and wading is mostly required.
Hmm. So wading means you won't hit anything on your back cast?

I just wonder why the 7'6"..when I got mine from Harry Murray down here in VA it was more of a specialty rod for the SNP. It quickly felt too short fishing brushy banks on VA spring creeks and fishing from a kayak or in wading deep meant line hitting water on back casts.

Anyway, I ended up getting 9' 5wts (several) and 8'6—longer rods. More rod for more distance (when I needed it) and ability to mend line better.

But don't let me deter you from your thought on a 7'6" or 8ft (that's where I'd go). You may add more rods later...

That said, the St. Croix is a fantastic little rod. Again, I don't consider it really zippy and fast. It has a really nice action and I love fishing it. I am still amazed at what it can do. Now, when I got mine (4+) years ago it was like $200+ I see it's a little cheaper now.

I've owned 2 other Redington (Crosswater and Tempt). Both 5wts which I found heavy and not as nice as my others, but that's an apple orange comparison. But alot of people like them and they can be trusted on this forum.

Let me think a day or two...maybe it's time to let that St. Croix go since I don't fish it very much at all in the SNP anymore. It has a new $90 click and paw orvis battenkill on it. The line needs replacing tho....let me know what you'd like to do for reel and rod or just rod.

Best
C
__________________
"...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Hmm. So wading means you won't hit anything on your back cast?

I just wonder why the 7'6"..when I got mine from Harry Murray down here in VA it was more of a specialty rod for the SNP. It quickly felt too short fishing brushy banks on VA spring creeks and fishing from a kayak or in wading deep meant line hitting water on back casts.

Anyway, I ended up getting 9' 5wts (several) and 8'6—longer rods. More rod for more distance (when I needed it) and ability to mend line better.

But don't let me deter you from your thought on a 7'6" or 8ft (that's where I'd go). You may add more rods later...

That said, the St. Croix is a fantastic little rod. Again, I don't consider it really zippy and fast. It has a really nice action and I love fishing it. I am still amazed at what it can do. Now, when I got mine (4+) years ago it was like $200+ I see it's a little cheaper now.

I've owned 2 other Redington (Crosswater and Tempt). Both 5wts which I found heavy and not as nice as my others, but that's an apple orange comparison. But alot of people like them and they can be trusted on this forum.

Let me think a day or two...maybe it's time to let that St. Croix go since I don't fish it very much at all in the SNP anymore. It has a new $90 click and paw orvis battenkill on it. The line needs replacing tho....let me know what you'd like to do for reel and rod or just rod.

Best
C
if you would like to get rid of it let me know price, i would just need rod, i have decent reel and only used once rio line so im good there.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
caseywise's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: sycamore, illinois
Posts: 4,179
Blog Entries: 1
caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Need a new rod

allen ats.......no question
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
luv these rods.

casey
__________________


ARFE
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
troutwaters is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a new rod

for the price u wanna pay i would highly suggest the shadow stalker...its 225 but its lifetime warranty and comes with an extra tip...atleast check the website out Shadow Fly Fishing
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM
shotgunfly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisonburg Virginee
Posts: 504
shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtroutfishr View Post
if you would like to get rid of it let me know price, i would just need rod, i have decent reel and only used once rio line so im good there.
I'm getting close to getting a fiberglass rod that's a 4wt. Anyway, that means I am more likely to let the St. Croix go. Since the glass will be probably 7'6" or 8'—and would end up being my shortest rod...I don't think I need 2.

I'll keep you in mind.
__________________
"...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I'm getting close to getting a fiberglass rod that's a 4wt. Anyway, that means I am more likely to let the St. Croix go. Since the glass will be probably 7'6" or 8'—and would end up being my shortest rod...I don't think I need 2.

I'll keep you in mind.
Let me know first :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On














All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.