The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM

bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road
Default Need a new rod

hello all, i am pretty new to fly fishing and i am in need of a new rod. i bought a kit at dicks to start with, big mistake. i am looking for a medium action 4wt, preferably 7-8ft. i fish limestone and spring creeks in pa, so casting is usually under 30 ft. i mostly fish dry droppers (nymph on bottom, dry on top) and straight line nymphing. i would like to keep the rod price around $150. lets here those suggestions, thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a new rod

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have the rod I'm going to recommend but many people who fish them on the forum swear by them. Look for a Redington CT, you will have to search for them on the net but they're on closeout. Selection may be limited at this point but they're there. The newer model of the CT is the Tempt which is just a little over your budget. I'm basing this on past recommendations from members and the criteria that you're looking for. Medium action, spring creeks and under 30' fishing.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Sounds like the St.Croix Imperial would be perfect for you. I fish a 4 wt. 7.6 foot Imperial rod and love it. Lots of power and very delicate and accurate.

As well the Imperial line did very well in a big review shootout. Finished best in its price range. I think best in show under $150.00
They seem to have gone up in price over the last year. You can probably find a deal if you search.
shotgunfly and random user like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM

bigtroutfishr is on a distinguished road

Noreaster, I saw a review that said the imperial was a fast rod, or is that subjective?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtroutfishr View Post
Noreaster, I saw a review that said the imperial was a fast rod, or is that subjective?

I was using a 5 wt 7.6 foot Sage RPL. I switched the reel and 5 wt. line over to the St.Croix Imperial. So I over weighted it and it worked flawlessly. I also have been using a 3 wt line on it lately and have to say it handled it well as well. I find for a light weight 4wt, it has the flexibility to be both under and over weighted. Quite an accomplishment for a 7.6 foot 4 wt. under $200.00
So to answer your question It is a little subjective, but you can dial it in and slow the action down with a heavier line. If you are looking for a slower action rod, the Reddington Classic Trout (now sold under a different name) would fit the bill. I have both rods and I do find I like the St. Croix better though.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:03 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I'm one of those huge Redington CT fans mentioned above.........how about a CT on sale for 90 bucks????

Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rods : Cabela's

That 8'6" three weight will make you shed a tear!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I'm one of those huge Redington CT fans mentioned above.........how about a CT on sale for 90 bucks????

Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rods : Cabela's

That 8'6" three weight will make you shed a tear!!!
I'll see your $90, and raise a CT at $70:

http://www.theclymb.com/all/brand-ev...ct/493745?f=mi

They have only the 5 wt and 6 wt 9-footers left, though.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I always keep and eye on "the clymb!!" You never know what you will find!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I have a Redington CT 4wt 8'6" for sale. 75$ to your door if you're interested?
s fontinalis and yonder like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
I have a Redington CT 4wt 8'6" for sale. 75$ to your door if you're interested?
I would take this rod in a heartbeat if i were the OP...

T

Addicted To Vise