The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: To Glass or Not to Glass

A two piece Steffen is $330, a pretty good bargain compared to Scott.

Last edited by bear 007; 08-22-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know any more about Orvis's new glass offerings that's suppose to come out in the late fall or early winter ? Thought I might hold off till them myself. But,,the glass bug has bit me. The biggest brook trout I ever caught was near 6lbs (stocked but what the heck) on a Conolon glass rod. That old rod was pretty decent really. A GOOD glass rod outta be impressive.

Mike

Last edited by fly_guy12955; 08-22-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i picked up a cabelas cgr last year and love it!
Click the image to open in full size.
sweet action and a blast to fish.
i went with the 7' 6" 4/5 wt 3 piece.
not bad for 50 bucks
the ww grigg 8' 5 weight will be added soon

casey
Hardyreels and mridenour like this.

ARFE
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Casey, did you get in contact with Griggs ?

Mike
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

workin' on it mike. wiil let u know

ARFE
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 PM

okiefshr12 is on a distinguished road

Is fiberglassflyrodders forum still up and running I tried to register and wasn't able to. Then I found a site where I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it said it was moving to.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Alot of folks really like a good glass rod, myself included. The one piece of advice I'd pass along, if you do go glass, keep it short. I'd suggest nothing longer than 7 1/2' maybe 8'. I think 7 - 7 1/2' is the sweet spot for glass. Maybe something even shorter if you have a specialized need.
I agree with this, I used to fish a 9' lamiglass seven weight and the length made you think you should be able to push long casts with the rod. truth was that the rod was too soft to 'comfortably' throw the whole line. It could be done but it took a lot of body along with the rod to push long casts.

My Orvis Full Flex is 6'6" and I use a #5 line on it. It will cast a 4-5-6-or7 line. The five will fish distances up to 40' with little effort.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

If you want a glass rod and are willing to throw $600.00 plus shipping, I would suggest taking a look at the rods built by George Minculette at Tightloop in Romania. I have seen other builders try to match his level of excellence and can't get there. I talked to him for several months about a custom Kabuto and finally placed an order. Takes approx. 3 to 4 months. Kabuto (Kab) out of Sapporo Japan rolls a limited number of blanks about every 3 months. George is a master at finishing. If you have thrown $600.00 on a factory built graphite, try a one of a kind custom glass. Lighter than bamboo, heavier than graphite. Kabuto make E-glass, Steffen makes S-glass which is a little faster than E-glass. JMHO, but I would rather pony up for a custom glass than a Sage CIRCA and still have some change in my jeans....to put towards a Hardy "Featherweight".
Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM

arflyer is on a distinguished road

I have had my eye on the Scott F2 for a long time, and periodically just oogle over it on the internet. But then I remember thats its price tag is pretty big. But someday in the next few years, I'm all over that 7'6" 3 wt.

I like to take my time in all areas of life, and casting is no different! So glass is the way to go for me!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Some pretty solid advice here so far. To answer a few questions, yes, the fiberglass rod forum is still very active. http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/. There are several excellent custom high end builders in the glass market. A few I would recommend off hand are Leiderman, Tightloop, and Christian Hörgren. There are a lot of other very talented builders besides these guys, these ones just come to mind first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arflyer View Post
I have had my eye on the Scott F2 for a long time, and periodically just oogle over it on the internet. But then I remember thats its price tag is pretty big. But someday in the next few years, I'm all over that 7'6" 3 wt. !
I have the F2 6'6" 3wt and absolutely love it for small stream trout and pond bluegill! Keep an eye out on the auction site, once in a blue moon they do pop up.

-Chase