The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: To Glass or Not to Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I agree with this, I used to fish a 9' lamiglass seven weight and the length made you think you should be able to push long casts with the rod. truth was that the rod was too soft to 'comfortably' throw the whole line. It could be done but it took a lot of body along with the rod to push long casts.

My Orvis Full Flex is 6'6" and I use a #5 line on it. It will cast a 4-5-6-or7 line. The five will fish distances up to 40' with little effort.
Fiberglass is alot like bamboo in that respect. The characteristics of the material that make it so ideal for some applications make it equally unsuitable for other applications. Of course it's that unsuitability that inspires the development of other materials to fill the voids.

SGF - you may want to think about starting out with some vintage glass. The better vintage rods are what served us vintage anglers so well, which is why many of us continue to use them even though alot of other choices and options exist. You don't need to spend a bundle to get a great fishing tool. Although I will say that the interest in glass has driven the price of the more desirable vintage rods up quite a bit over the course of the past several years.
fredaevans likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: To Glass or Not to Glass

So hear your P2. Lots of 2handers, but the first that gets pulled off (fall low water fishing) is an 11' glass 2hander. Pure Magic!

fae
pszy22 likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Fred,

Now that you mention it, I don't fish any two handed fly rods. However I use to fish an 11' Fenwick fiberglass spinning rod surf casting for Great Lakes chinook salmon. I was just thinking about that rod the other day, it would cast a spoon as far as the eye could see. It would take on all comers fishwise, it landed some monstrous bright as a new dime chinook back in the day when they were all over fed on alewives.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Can you underline a fiberglass rod? I hear that they load under their own weight and don't need a lot of line to load them. That tells me underlining might be okay? Overlining?
I under-line many of my glass rods and others use exactly what they're rated for right down to "DT and not WF"
My 2 W&M Featherlights call for HEH line (5DT) but I've fished those rods with both 3 and 4 wt lines. With a 4DT those rods will load with only a foot of line out of the tip top.
I don't overline any of my glass rods.

I recent acquired 4 "new" rods. ($100 )
The 3 Fenwicks (FF80, FF70, FF79) are some of their most desirable models but I haven't gotten around to using them yet as I've been stuck on the forth
The sweet casting Cortland FR-2000 6/7 (St Croix blank) is my new favorite rod (this week) and probably the least desirable of the bunch. I've been fishing it with a 6WF and that's just about perfect.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post

Can you underline a fiberglass rod? I hear that they load under their own weight and don't need a lot of line to load them. That tells me underlining might be okay? Overlining?

Thanks gents!
Glass rods can usually handle a range of line wts dependant of what action you are looking for. Not nearly as well as a bamboo rods but can still be tinkered with a little bit.

If you're willing to drop a little cash on glass I'd consider the Redington Butter Stick... Or look into getting one of the plenty vintage Fenwicks... Can't go wrong either way. You could even drop as little as $20... I have a Wonderod that's fun to fish and my little 6' Herters is a blast too(both were bought with pretty good deals ) There are some duds out there for sure but you can find good vintage glass on the cheap if you shop around and keep your eyes peeled
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
. You could even drop as little as $20... There are some duds out there for sure but you can find good vintage glass on the cheap if you shop around and keep your eyes peeled
$25-$30 is about my limit, but I will go quite a bit more for a nice Phillipson.
Just in the past year or so, I've bought around a dozen vintage glass rods.
One Heddon wasn't worth the $10 that I paid for it but some of the others were a real steal. Even that Heddon would make for a nice rod rebuilt with a couple of extra guides
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Craigslist has landed me the best deals so far. Not into the garage sale circuit yet heh. But seems like CL posts can more often be posted by people who don't know what they are actually selling. Making for really good deals.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM
mridenour

I have to stop reading threads like this. My current wish list is far too long and now I am adding more things to it.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Watch ebay for a while. There are a couple of Orvis Fullflex glass rods up for auction right now, one's at $26 and the other at $56, though both are heavier line weights than you're seeking. The Fullflex A models are nice rods. I've been using an 8.5' 9 weight for nearly 40 years now.

It might be worth your while to be patient and watch for a good vintage rod for a few weeks.
shotgunfly likes this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Wow lots of great info here.
This forum is great.

I think I'm going to do a few things
(1) The local shop has a scott 3wt glass on hand
(2) They're getting butter sticks soon
(3) Try a loaner from a forum member or from the fiberglass manifesto (has a $15/2 wk loaner program)
(4) Check out ebay for some vintage stuff, at low prices I think I can afford to get one
(5) research some differences in glass blanks so I know what I'm getting when I go the custom route, which usually ends up happening....

But please, don't stop! I'm liking reading about em
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com